• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nobody had him... The alpha list of selected people
    Keep on Civin'
    RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Nobody had had Don Kirshner either... RIP

LAS VEGAS – Don Kirshner, a rock promoter and music publisher who helped garner hits for the make-believe groups The Monkees and The Archies and boosted the careers of Billy Joel, Neil Diamond and the Police, has died. He was 76.

Promoter Jack Wishna, a close friend and business associate, told The Associated Press on Tuesday that Kirshner, whom Time magazine once dubbed "The Man with the Golden Ear," was in a hospital in Boca Raton being treated for an infection when he died on Monday.

"Donny Kirshner would take a kid off the street ... and turn him into Neil Diamond, Carole King, James Taylor, on and on," Wishna said. "I haven't spoken to anyone in the music business that Donny hasn't either discovered, promoted, or touched in some way.

"I've never seen anybody like this in my life," he said.

The Bronx-born Kirshner started off in the business as a songwriter, penning "My First Love" for Bobby Darin. But he had more success in tapping songwriting talents like Diamond, King and Neil Sedaka.

Kirshner's songwriters were tapped in the 1960s to create music for a group manufactured for TV — The Monkees. They became a huge sensation in both the TV and the rock world and had hits including "I'm a Believer," which Diamond wrote.

Kirshner also was behind the music that made magic for The Archies, based off the comic strip characters, including the classic "Sugar Sugar."
      Keep on Civin'

Comment

We're on a roll.
        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

You people are sick, betting on when people will die! You should be ashamed of yourselves, didn't your mothers teach you anything?

Comment

Originally posted by Ming View Post
            Nobody had him... The alpha list of selected people
            Look again -- Wezil had him alpha under Sargent, not Shriver.

9. *R. Sargent Shriver
            First blood and unique pick.
            Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
            RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Originally posted by Thorn View Post
              You people are sick, betting on when people will die! You should be ashamed of yourselves, didn't your mothers teach you anything?
              No betting is involved. And if you don't like it, stay away.

Warning: If you don't stay away, you'll end up like DaShi.
              RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Pllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllzzzz i've been like DaShi more times then i can count. All i'm saying its poor taste or lack of manners, the only thing i like about living in the South is manners and people being polite, well until the northerners keep invading that is.

Comment

letme guess the winner gets the title Grimm Reaper?!

Comment

****, yeah!
                    "post reported"Winston, on the barricades for freedom of speech
                    "I don't like laws all over the world. Doesn't mean I am going to do anything but post about it."Jon Miller

Comment

letme guess the winner gets the title Grimm Reaper?!
                      Yup. See my sig.

Comment

Ok, fine no touching me and i'll leave the thread alone.

Comment

Pllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllzzzz i've been like DaShi more times then i can count. All i'm saying its poor taste or lack of manners, the only thing i like about living in the South is manners and people being polite, well until the northerners keep invading that is.
                          If you like manners and politeness, WTF are you doing here??

Comment

I'm still waiting for the Ivory Coast situation to be brought to a violent end...
                            If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                            ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Originally posted by -Jrabbit View Post
                              Look again -- Wezil had him alpha under Sargent, not Shriver.
                              Oops.

First blood and unique pick.
                              Well done.

I'll update everything tomorrow.
                              "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                              "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

So much for the alpha list
                                Keep on Civin'

Comment

Working...
                                X