No announcement yet.

PSA: Don't get a PhD, kids.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Instead of a PhD I got a professional qualification.

I turned down a second degree (opportunity) I was offered. Whilst it only required a single written paper to gain it, I decided I didn't want a degree in accountancy from Oxford to sully my otherwise perfect academic record.
    One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Did they not offer degrees in lion-taming then?

Comment

Originally posted by SpencerH View Post
        ...you cant buy a house with society's 'respect'.
        I think this sums it up. It is a great pity that being in research pays sh*t because it will just make people leave. In the end it seemed like too much crap for something I could not see myself doing for the rest of my life...and wouldn't even afford me a decent standard of living for enduring it. Kudos to those who can stick with it, but I went with the tactical withdrawal. It may sound like quitting...but what is the point in struggling on when there is no real reward for doing so but more endless crap?
        Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Originally posted by Dauphin View Post
          ...I decided I didn't want a degree in accountancy from Oxford to sully my otherwise perfect academic record.
          Laying a trap for me? Well, I'll give you 2/10...not 1/10 mind you...I don't want to go down the route of that joke...
          Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

there's not too many PhD's out there, there's too many low-quality theses, written by people who scrape through and then can't get tenure except at Community College in Chicoutimi.

+1 for jokes along the Oxbridge corridor

Comment

He's always winding me up, unpronouncable one Next he'll mention how he turned down Oxford. He does that you know
              Speaking of Erith:

Comment

Of course I did. I got a better offer.
                One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

The only reason most of the people I know with PhDs (and there are plenty) only did so because they couldn't get a degree in grant writing... or they could but it was too hard.
                  Monkey!!!

Comment

An unfortunately large number of my friends dream of getting PhDs and say things like "undergrad isn't important, grad school is everything."

If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                    ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
                      An unfortunately large number of my friends dream of getting PhDs and say things like "undergrad isn't important, grad school is everything."

Seems you already got a PhD
                      "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                      'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Oh? In what?
                        If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                        ){ :|:& };:

Comment

You "loose" some time doing the PhD. Afterwards my experience shows that increased career opportunities make up for that lost time - in engineering anyways.
                          "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

Actually engineering seems to be one of the few disciplines where such research actually pays off...I know several friends who are engineers and did PhDs and it seems to have worked out pretty well for them. Not the same for the scientists who all ended up leaving the sector and going elsewhere...
                            Speaking of Erith:

Comment

Then again, engineering is the ONLY real science *wink wink* *tongue in cheek*
                              "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

Yeah, whatever
                                Speaking of Erith:

Comment

Working...
                                X