No announcement yet.

PSA: Don't get a PhD, kids.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You may have overdumbed, I fear. You've got this pedantic tone that's clearly meant to be funny in post 84, and some insinuations, but no intelligible message or humor coalesces out of the pedantic japery.
    1011 1100
    Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Sorry, still not going to explain the jokes. I found it hilarious, intended audience has been satisfied. Drake doesn't get it, and goes into broken record mode... intended audience further satisfied. Elok doesn't get it, which is an unintentional and rather insignificant (to all those involved I'd suspect) side effect.

Comment

Originally posted by Provost Harrison View Post
        Actually engineering seems to be one of the few disciplines where such research actually pays off...I know several friends who are engineers and did PhDs and it seems to have worked out pretty well for them.
        My outfit - and I, when I'm on the selection panel - are very wary of engineers with PhD's. The ones we've had have a tendency to focus more on what they can publish when attempting to solve a problem than actually solving the problem. Not a few also tie up other employees' time with chasing down information for their extra-curricula publishing ambitions.

Having said that I've met some brilliant and extraordinarily useful engineers with PhD's.

Comment

I think that is the mould that academic research forces them into. It's one of the reasons it got on my nerves very quickly.

I'm much happier now in the real world
          Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Since i hated publishing this is a problem that I don't have.
            "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

Originally posted by Tupac Shakur View Post
              Oh, this is going to be good!
              So I thought, but I came before even getting to the next post.
              Unbelievable!

Comment

Well I really can't blame anyone who takes their education and runs. I wish I'd done it earlier before even embarking on the PhD...but we can all be wise in hindsight...
                Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Working...
                X