Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MikeH View Post
    Nope. Absolutely not.

Not even when they were at the height of their powers, but I'd be especially stupid to claim it when I think they are just about to start taking real hits in their market share from Google OS and better Linux desktop distros.
    So natural monopolies are transient and impermanent?
    "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
    'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Originally posted by Asher View Post
      The choice is within the market that you're arguing has a monopoly.
      Then I don't see how it's inconsistent to point to services, OSes, advertisement distribution that closely resemble and come up short in fulfilling the purest and most unattainable definition of natural monopoly. Why create a definition of something which apparently can't exist because you exclude anything that even sniffs at it?
      'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Originally posted by MRT144 View Post
        Then I don't see how it's inconsistent to point to services, OSes, advertisement distribution that closely resemble and come up short in fulfilling the purest and most unattainable definition of natural monopoly. Why create a definition of something which apparently can't exist because you exclude anything that even sniffs at it?
        It's something that can exist, or more accurately could exist.

I don't think a natural monopoly can exist in the computer space, though. Change is not only too easy, it's expected.

Is x86 a natural monopoly? Most people would think so, but it's not. ARM is a major player as well.
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

No US company has a monopoly because they can all be overshadowed by Chinese companies that copy their business model and profit from protectionist policies.
          “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
          "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

so kuci n hc have boardwalk n park place... And probably have no hotels.

Comment

Originally posted by Aeson View Post
              so kuci n hc have boardwalk n park place... And probably have no hotels.
              Butt they have one another.

Comment

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
                Here's a classic case. I know it's long, but I highly urge everyone to read it. It shows how unions can run amok and it might make you chuckle:
                How those water-less toilets actually doing a few years down the line?

Comment

Originally posted by MikeH View Post
                  Nope. Absolutely not.

Not even when they were at the height of their powers, but I'd be especially stupid to claim it when I think they are just about to start taking real hits in their market share from Google OS and better Linux desktop distros.
                  Better Linux desktop distros? I've been hearing this for 10 years, at least.
                  Graffiti in a public toilet
                  Do not require skill or wit
                  Among the **** we all are poets
                  Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

They are already here, and constantly improving.
                    Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
                    Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                    We've got both kinds

Comment

• Originally posted by MRT144 View Post
                      So natural monopolies are transient and impermanent?
                      No, dumbass. OS market isn't, and has never been, a natural monopoly.
                      Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
                      Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                      We've got both kinds

Comment

• All I can say is that freshman in the syslab often talk excitedly about how they read that Linux will soon be ready for the desktop and accessible to the average user. This is generally met with laughter from the seniors.
                        If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                        ){ :|:& };:

Comment

• Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
                          All I can say is that freshman in the syslab often talk excitedly about how they read that Linux will soon be ready for the desktop and accessible to the average user. This is generally met with laughter from the seniors.
                          What planet are you from?
                          "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
                          "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

• Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
                            What planet are you from?
                            Wow, you're still squabbling with him about his high school?

Comment

• Federal workers aren't really overpaid.

Looking at pure pay rates without taking into account things like relative education levels, relative experience and seniority and the relatively high cost of living in the DC Metro area is dumb. So is ignoring the fact that a large reason these counties have such high median incomes is also because lobbyists and other DC hangers-on live there, too.
                              Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

• That's not really a good measure. A lot of government employees are overpaid because their jobs provide zero or negative value.

Comment

Working...
                                X