Census Bureau: All rich US counties in VA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Census Bureau: All rich US counties in VA

Only three US counties have median household incomes of over $100,000...

The U.S. Census Bureau said today that three communities in Virginia were the only counties in the country with median household income over $100,000 a year.
    The counties are Fairfax and Loudoun while the third area is the city of Falls Church, which is deemed a “county equivalent” by the federal government. All are located in the northern part of Virginia within commuting distance of Washington, D.C.
    Do we on Apolyton know anyone who lives in one of these snobbish counties?
    "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

No wonder their high schools are so good.
    “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
    "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

dashi beat me to it.
      "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

I'd agree with snobbish to an extent, considering that much of the reason Northern Virginia is so wealthy is the Federal Government's completely broken pay system. But the wealth isn't what makes them snobbish, it's the fact that they can't bear the thought of getting their pay cut.
        If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
        ){ :|:& };:

Comment

But the wealth isn't what makes them snobbish, it's the fact that they can't bear the thought of getting their pay cut.

Huh?

Show me one person who wouldn't mind getting their pay cut.

That's a bizarre definition for snobbish.
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
          Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Federal workers (except at the very upper levels) are absurdly well-compensated and their pay is often only very loosely tied to performance. It's often set by statute, and whenever congress tries to fix this they go up in arms.

Comment

Still doesn't make then snobbish.

That would make everyone on Earth snobbish.
              Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

As an aside, there's a reason that the Bush administration gave so much work to contractors instead of federal employees. When Bush created DHS Democrats tried to fight over whether it would be unionized. Contractor pay (for the employees) can't be set by politics. And they can be fired even if they never raped anybody.

Comment

Originally posted by Provost Harrison View Post
                  Still doesn't make then snobbish.

That would make everyone on Earth snobbish.
                  Hmm, okay. I take it back.

Oh, another fun fact. Apparently Fairfax County has a higher GDP than Vietnam.

Comment

Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
                    As an aside, there's a reason that the Bush administration gave so much work to contractors instead of federal employees.
                    Yes, and it's not why you think it is.

They gave work to companies who they had ties with. No-bid contracts to Halliburton and the like.
                    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Originally posted by Hauldren Collider;5903781}
                      Democrats tried to fight over whether it would be unionized. .
                      Shocking. Heaven forbid that workers actually unite together to fight for some decent treatment in an alleged democracy. It's positively UnAmerican.
                      Libraries are state sanctioned, so they're technically engaged in privateering. - Felch
                      I thought we're trying to have a serious discussion? It says serious in the thread title!- Al. B. Sure

Comment

Unions are unamerican

Not to mention idiotic

As far as I can tell, they don't believe in a day's work for a day's pay, or that people should be able to buy whatever they want even if it wasn't made by their overpaid hands.

Comment

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
                          http://www.businessweek.com/news/201...ome-ranks.html

Only three US counties have median household incomes of over $100,000...

Do we on Apolyton know anyone who lives in one of these snobbish counties?
                          Why do you care?

Comment

Unions are unamerican
                            Are they as unamerican as standing up to a secretive government?

Comment

Unions are unamerican

Not to mention idiotic

As far as I can tell, they don't believe in a day's work for a day's pay, or that people should be able to buy whatever they want even if it wasn't made by their overpaid hands.

Idiot.

Unions are about putting some power back in the hands of the working class. If that is UnAmerican, then America stands for the rule of the moneyed classes and is no different from the exploitive feudal societies from which it descended.

Try getting your hands dirty and actually working for a living Mr Spoiled brat. It will open your eyes to some of the realities of the world.
                              Libraries are state sanctioned, so they're technically engaged in privateering. - Felch
                              I thought we're trying to have a serious discussion? It says serious in the thread title!- Al. B. Sure

Comment

Working...
                              X