Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latinos are genetically predisposed to have increased liver fat when they eat sugar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Latinos are genetically predisposed to have increased liver fat when they eat sugar

Research shows that 49% of Latinos have a genetic variation that makes it harder for their livers to break down fat especially when they eat a lot of sugar. Things like this and the relative rarity of lactose persistance (a better name than lactose intolerance since the vast majority of mankind is lactose intolerant), vitamin D shortages among those with darker hue,... make me wonder why discussions of ancestry and effects on diet are so muted in public health decisions when they have major effects.

Even personal genetic variation is neglected in favour of endorsed diet pyramids that recommend tons of carbohydrates and low protein (which I'm willing to bet is good for very few people regardless of race or ethnicity).

Last edited by Heraclitus; November 20, 2010, 13:48.
    Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
    The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
    The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Nomenclature

According to Heyman (2006), approximately 70% of the global population cannot tolerate lactose in adulthood. Thus, some argue that the terminology should be reversed — lactose intolerance should be seen as the norm, and the minority groups should be labeled as having lactase persistence. A counter-argument to this is that the cultures that don't generally consume unmodified milk products have little need to discuss their intolerance to it, leaving the cultures for which lactose intolerance is a significant dietary issue to define its terminology.

"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Wezil View Post
      Nomenclature

According to Heyman (2006), approximately 70% of the global population cannot tolerate lactose in adulthood. Thus, some argue that the terminology should be reversed — lactose intolerance should be seen as the norm, and the minority groups should be labeled as having lactase persistence. A counter-argument to this is that the cultures that don't generally consume unmodified milk products have little need to discuss their intolerance to it, leaving the cultures for which lactose intolerance is a significant dietary issue to define its terminology.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lactose_intolerance
      A better name for it I see.
      Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
      The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
      The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

I just found it more interesting than the OP.
        "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
        "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

The food pyramid should only consist of fruits, vegetables, lean meats, a little bit of dairy if you absolutely must, and healthy fat sources like olive oil.

Comment

Could someone explain why grains are such a bad thing?

Comment

Sure, as soon as you reply in my "wisdom" thread to that post I made. I would hate to think that post is going to go to waste. Especially after you provided such an amusing find.

Comment

There was nothing worth responding to in that post. Sorry.

Comment

Come on Gribbler, it's so obvious about you. Go back and respond so I can finish this up. I can't imagine that post is going to go to waste. I had a feeling this would happen after seeing how you post on here. I even set it up nicely by providing a meek defense in the beginning before switching over 10 minutes later to embracing that study. Now grow some balls and finish what you started. Stop running around making a post and then running away in all the topics.

Comment

Originally posted by gribbler View Post
                    Could someone explain why grains are such a bad thing?
                    Here's a summary from a more 'pop' source:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/definitive-guide-grains/
                    "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
                    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Originally posted by DriXnaK View Post
                      The food pyramid should only consist of fruits, vegetables, lean meats, a little bit of dairy if you absolutely must, and healthy fat sources like olive oil.
                      I hate to say this since it's from you but
                      "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

I'm not sure how you can say that Al since my knowledge clearly outweighs yours in both magnitude and scope.

Comment

Actually check that... lean is not necessary for meats. Meats in generally is sufficient. Fat, particularly saturated fat, is not nearly as bad as it is made out to be.

Comment

Go ahead and list the meats you eat Al. Also, the studies that show that saturated fats aren't a big deal.

Comment

Originally posted by DriXnaK View Post
                              Come on Gribbler, it's so obvious about you. Go back and respond so I can finish this up. I can't imagine that post is going to go to waste. I had a feeling this would happen after seeing how you post on here. I even set it up nicely by providing a meek defense in the beginning before switching over 10 minutes later to embracing that study. Now grow some balls and finish what you started. Stop running around making a post and then running away in all the topics.
                              If you wanted a response you should have wrote something better than "I guess it's plausible." I'm not impressed by the word count. You have an enormous ego and a ****ing marketing degree, it's pretty obvious your ego is overinflated. Now you're getting a degree with a starting salary of 30k for the money.

Comment

Working...
                              X