Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Apolyton vs CivFanatics - The rivalry continues.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Most people who've played 4 disagree with you about it, Drix.
    1011 1100
    Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Plomp View Post
      Please elaborate.
      The hideously dysfunctional and ugly default theme is a good start. It's far from welcoming -- if that was my first exposure to a site, I'd not even look inside.
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Plomp View Post
        More sites need to link to our exclusive civ5 material.
        Google bases it's site-ranking on the number of sites to link to you.

Part of the problem is that we lost about 50% of our links during the merger.
        That was a hard decision, but it had to be made one day. Our old server and legacy was way to expensive, both in time and in money, to maintain. I personally hoped that our exclusive content both before and after civ5's release would have resulted in more sites linking to us. Unfortunately a lot wasn't picked up. But what's important there is that things don't go over night. It's a matter of time.
        What merger are you talking about?

If you're talking about the server swap, why does that affect URLs? URLs are not server-specific, they're domain specific. If your site structure has changed, you should've taken the opportunity to ask if anyone here knew URL rewrite rules, so others could help you add in the appropriate URL redirections from old content to new content.

If you're talking about loss of data in its entirety, then you did the move wrong.
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Last edited by ZEE; December 22, 2010, 19:40.
          Order of the Fly
          Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

Originally posted by Asher View Post
            Personality is a bannable offense at CFC.
            Typing nelly is a bannable offense at CFC, girl!
            "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
            'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

What merger are you talking about?

If you're talking about the server swap, why does that affect URLs? URLs are not server-specific, they're domain specific. If your site structure has changed, you should've taken the opportunity to ask if anyone here knew URL rewrite rules, so others could help you add in the appropriate URL redirections from old content to new content.

If you're talking about loss of data in its entirety, then you did the move wrong.
              They had a ****load of domains, all linked to apolyton.net, IIRC, and threw most of these away. There were some other sites linking to some of those, which we 'lost'.

As for civ 2 / civ 3 traffic, well, clearly Civ3 traffic was greater in number, since by that time the internet was much much larger than it did in civ2 times. But in Civ2 times, we had a much larger portion of the Civ2 activity.
              Indifference is Bliss

Comment

So all of the domains were the problem?

Set up a domain alias. Done.

At my previous job, I was the tech owner of over 3,000 web domains. In fact, I just checked, and I still am (they've yet to update...). Almost all of the pointed to the same website. It's not hard.

Comment

It's not hard.

Comment

I think it was that, I have been known to talk out of my ass.
                    Indifference is Bliss

Comment

Working...
                    X