"America is the greatest country on Earth..."

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "America is the greatest country on Earth..."

Like many Americans, I used to take that as a given. But, also like many Americans, I'm beginning to have serious doubts.

There's no doubt that, in spite of the recent economic doldrums, we remain the richest country on Earth. We also have the largest, most powerful military (although one could make a good argument that is more to our detriment than our benefit). But beyond that, how exactly do we qualify as the greatest country on Earth?

We're been surpassed by many nations in the question of civil rights. Our education system is outmoded and our educational performance is rapidly declining. Our infrastructure is crumbling, our energy grid obsolete. The gap between rich and poor is widening at what seems to be a geometric rate, the true middle class disappearing before our very eyes.

So, true blue patriots, convince me.
    "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
    "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Because we let dirty communists like you spew your evil filth, that's why!
    Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
    "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

And God.
      Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
      "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Definitely God.
        Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

Originally posted by Guynemer View Post
          Like many Americans, I used to take that as a given. But, also like many Americans, I'm beginning to have serious doubts.
          That makes you lose points in chest thumping vs. other nations.

My country is teh greatest! Her!Ma!Nia!
          Blah

Comment

It, of course, depends how you define 'greatest'.

I'm sure we could all find several different measures that would give the US the #1 slot and many more where it would come lower down the list.

The need to be acknowledged as the greatest country does seem to be a fairly uniquely American thing. Well at least it's an alien concept in post-WWII Europe. We treat that kind of nationalism very warily.
            Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
            Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
            We've got both kinds

Comment

You already covered richest and biggest guns. What more do you want?
              Solomwi is very wise. - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

You need to travel more, and I don't mean to tourist sites.
                Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

You mean to see all the 3rd world **** hole parts of the US, that are all too prevalent if you detour off the beaten track even slightly...?

Comment

I think sloww was referring to traveling to Britain so he can study in the muslim holy land and experience such wonderful things like Sharia law.

Comment

That must be my part of Cardiff. There's an Islamic school less than 100yds away from where I live and I always end up seeing at least a few women in their burkas every day.

Comment

The US is full of people who tend to be optimistic and take chances for the future. In my experience, this is rare among first-world countries.
                        I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

There are lots of great things about the US, and the friendliness and hospitality of American people is certainly one of them.

I just wouldn't want to live there 'cause of things like working rights and medical costs.
                          Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                          We've got both kinds

Comment

Americans give much more to charity than other countries. I view that as a positive indication regarding the general values of the United States.
                            I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Some might say that's due to a combination of being the richest and not having the same levels of state support we have for the less fortunate that we have in eg. Europe.
                              We've got both kinds

Comment

Working...
                              X