No announcement yet.

**** virginia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm going to propose an even better one that only gives a million dollars to those who own homes...
    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
    Stadtluft Macht Frei
    Killing it is the new killing it
    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Enough should be done to ensure that every disabled veteran, especially those who are 100% disabled, has enough to live the rest of their lives reasonably well; at least as well as the average American. Do you think we're even at that point?
      "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
      "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Originally posted by MikeH View Post
        Every spending or taxation decision can be described as "fairer"

"I'm going to tax group x and exempt group y, because it's fairer"
        "I'm going to let group x keep more of their money and tax group y the same, because it's fairer"

It's meaningless and totally depends on your personal viewpoint.

It's not meaningless when group y consists of men with grievous disabilities suffered in war.

I see it's the twilight zone over here. Thank god I see that EVERY person in the VA State Assembly and 82% of Virginia voters are not you. Thank god, too, at all the other states which have this law already for disabled veterans. You're all on an island on this one.
        "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

What about a disabled fireman or policeman? Same thing?
          Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
          Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
          We've got both kinds

Comment

$32k is equivalent the average income in america. It doesn't include all the other benefits that veterans receive, nor the ones that are offered to 100% disabled veterans.

Also, I am still suspicious that disabled veterans receive social security disability?

Actually, they do (at least the 100% ones):

This means that the 100% disabled veterans get more money than the average American, as well as receiving other benefits.

JM
            Jon Miller-
            I AM.CANADIAN
            GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

And you are still completely missing KH's point about not benefiting veterans who don't own their own home, so it's not fair because only some vets get it.
              Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
              We've got both kinds

Comment

Again... not all can benefit, so none shall! Really? That's considered a good point?

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller View Post
                  $32k is equivalent the average income in america. It doesn't include all the other benefits that veterans receive, nor the ones that are offered to 100% disabled veterans.

Also, I am still suspicious that disabled veterans receive social security disability?

Actually, they do (at least the 100% ones):

This means that the 100% disabled veterans get more money than the average American, as well as receiving other benefits.

JM

The average American isn't blind or missing limbs or paralyzed. Benefits in monetary terms must exceed average American income to provide for the same standard of living.

Comment

Not merely not fair (whatever that means); also distortionary at the home ownership margin AND benefiting richer veterans disproportionately to poorer veterans.
                    Stadtluft Macht Frei
                    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Only the ones who are the best off benefit, so it is a good way to benefit disabled veterans...

JM
                      Jon Miller-
                      I AM.CANADIAN
                      GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
                        Again... not all can benefit, so none shall! Really? That's considered a good point?
                        They could, for instance, use the proportion of property tax income they are going to lose from exempting disabled vets for a flat increase on their benefits so the individual vet could decide how to spend it.
                        We've got both kinds

Comment

Albie, at least pretend that you're trying to argue this rationally...
                          Stadtluft Macht Frei
                          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
                            "These people deserve compensation, so let's propose an amendment that compensates only those amongst them that need it the least."

"That seems silly."

"You hate these people die hate fire death kill omg!"
                            Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                            "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

This is why **** bills like this get passed, people can't look at it rationally because they can't afford the bad press if they vote against "a bill that benefits our brave servicemen", no matter how sensible the content might be.
                              We've got both kinds

Comment

That was not up for referendum. Nothing else was up for referendum. Only this. If it was this versus something else maybe something else... but only this was up for referendum. Again, if not all can benefit, none shall. Nice.

Comment

Working...
                                X