Apolyton US Election Coverage Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gribbler View Post
    Since when did Americans want small government? Even California couldn't manage to legalize weed. It seems pretty clear that the majority of Americans want the government to actively manage people's private lives.

Oh, and as if Americans want a balanced budget. Somehow it's always cutting taxes and increasing spending that wins.

This country is so ****ed up.
    Folks in Florida (granted not a cross sectionof the US) were fairly clear in their opinion on this matter. Balanced budget without tax increases.

71.88 Yay
    28.1 Nay

http://enight.dos.state.fl.us/contestdetails.aspx?con=901000
    Last edited by Ogie Oglethorpe; November 3, 2010, 16:36.
    "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Yepper.

US: We voted against Obama, Pelosi

For Democrats, Election Day was judgment day, with voters finding a rash of candidates guilty for their association with President Barack Obama and House Speaker Nancy Pelosi.
      I kind of feel bad for Obama. Did you see his hour long news conference today? He's had the crap kicked out of him and knows it.
      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

This is what they wrote in the main newspaper of Buenos Aires about tea party supporters

They hate intellectuals, whom they consider elitists, or complex people with many points of view. For them, leaving the fronteers of their State is like going to the Moon. Being from cosmopolitan New York is a sin, and accusing people of being french-like is their favorite insult.

They prefer to focus on their family, going to Church, carrying weapons and working hard to progress. They rabidly oppose abortion, gay marriage, and believe Global Warming is a huge lie. Most of them are men, old and white.

Obama is the incarnation of all they hate.
        I need a foot massage

Comment

12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
          Stadtluft Macht Frei
          Killing it is the new killing it
          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Remarkably, that is probably more ignorant than the stereotype they describe.
            If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
            ){ :|:& };:

Comment

We mainly see the funny footage of their nutjob candidates making ridiculous statements and gaffes.
              Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
              Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
              We've got both kinds

Comment

Originally posted by MrFun View Post
                Iowan voters decided to remove three Iowa Supreme Court justices for doing their job.
                Simplistic, if we define their job as applying the law. If that is so then your statement is incorrect. The law must take the meaning it had on its enactment, or else it has no meaning at all--in fact, it would simply become a cipher for the political preferences of the judiciary. On this view, the removal of these judges is quite appropriate, because they quite consciously chose to defy the will of the people as embodied in the Iowan Constitution.
                However, if we define the judicial task as creating the law when it is thought right do so but otherwise applying the law, subject to being overridden by the people by way of the amendment process (but not removal), then your statement is correct. Obviously if the amendment process fails to convince then removal is the only rational choice left.
                I'm not sure that this whole "anything goes (including politicising the judiciary) to achieve a given goal" is an idea that has merit; at any rate it's not consistent with the theory of democratic governance traditionally thought of as underlying the doctrine of separation of powers.
                The point is that we're fooling ourselves if we're arguing that judges are simply "doing their jobs" by creating and overriding laws without the consent of the people.

Frankly, I'm not enamoured with the idea of a super-majoritarian constitution at all. The British system of parliamentary sovereignty involves far less pointless legal wrangling. It also recognises the plain fact that democratic freedoms are bound up in the people, not paper constitutions. Making laws by way of simple majorities is more efficient and more sensible in that sense. If we look to the history of the UK vis-a-vis civil and political rights, we may see that they have progressed at more or less the same pace as the USA (if not better in some cases).

The argument you should be making (I submit) is that the ends and justify the means: in other words, that the exercise of a judicial veto over valid laws is a perfectly acceptable thing to do, e.g. as an instance of civil disobedience or protest; that sometimes breaking the law is more important than the rule of law. Some things, in other words, are worth fighting for.
                "You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."--General Sir Charles James Napier

Comment

Originally posted by MikeH View Post
                  We mainly see the funny footage of their nutjob candidates making ridiculous statements and gaffes.
                  Like:

One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Comment

wow! I think she needs to run for president next. I endose her fully
                      Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
                      GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

She has too much competition from Sarah Palin.
                        “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                        "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

She can be her running mate.

Comment

Originally posted by Dauphin View Post
                            Like:

I need a foot massage

Comment

Indeed. This woman won the Republican primary for the Senate in Delaware. You almost have to think she was a Democratic plant.
                              "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                              "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Didn't Ben claim to support her?
                                12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                                Killing it is the new killing it
                                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Working...
                                X