Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Remember that big stink caused by ignoramuses about "niggardly"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Thoth View Post
    AHA! I knew those bloody Norwegians were up to no good.

Bunch of Panda lovers, all of them.
    The only reason I remember that is because of the NAACP protesting incident over the word niggardly which KH mentioned in the title. If I remember correctly niggardly means cheap or miserly and entered English usage during the early middle ages while the term ****** meaning a derogatory term for a black person didn't enter into common English usage until after the colonization of the American south and the starting of the African slave trade in the late 17th to early 18th centuries. The two words are homonyms so they sound similiar but have totally different meanings and origins.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Lul Thyme View Post
      He said "Romance languages", not "Roman languages".
      These are a family of languages descending from Latin (French, Spanish, Italian, etc...)

Maybe this is how you got confused.
      nah, I wasn't confused. While not spelling it the same way, I meant the same. Problem is that Norse isn't one of those
      With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin View Post
        The two words are homonyms so they sound similiar but have totally different meanings and origins.
        I'm guessing you don't care, but they're sort-of homophones ("same sounds"). Homonyms ("same name") have identical spellings, e.g. "quarrel," which means "heated argument" as well as "crossbow ammunition." [/liberal arts major desperately trying to make his training useful]
        1011 1100
        Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Sorry. Mixed stuff up.
          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin View Post
            The only reason I remember that is because of the NAACP protesting incident over the word niggardly which KH mentioned in the title. If I remember correctly niggardly means cheap or miserly and entered English usage during the early middle ages while the term ****** meaning a derogatory term for a black person didn't enter into common English usage until after the colonization of the American south and the starting of the African slave trade in the late 17th to early 18th centuries. The two words are homonyms so they sound similiar but have totally different meanings and origins.

Are you Norwegian?
            Libraries are state sanctioned, so they're technically engaged in privateering. - Felch
            I thought we're trying to have a serious discussion? It says serious in the thread title!- Al. B. Sure

Comment

Working...
            X