Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How does a 60+ hour work week look like?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How does a 60+ hour work week look like?

Inspired by KrazyHorse's bragging thread.

As someone living in the paradisial states of Western Europe, I have trouble imagining this.

Is that a five-day work week, meaning twelve hours per day?
    Do you perhaps count your lunchbreaks among those sixty hours??
    How many hours do you spend in transport between your workplace and home?
    How many hours do you sleep per night?
    When do you buy your bread and other stuff? Aren't the shops already closed by the time you get home??
    Do you have kids?
    Do you have hobbies?
    Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
    Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

I think KH must have been overly tired if he was bragging about 60 hour weeks. Of course, he may have been being facetious.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

1) yes
      2) lunchbreak?
      3) 3.5 per week
      4) ~5 on weeknights, 12 on weekends
      5) No, I live in a civilized place where stores stay open til midnight
      6) No, not yet
      12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
      Stadtluft Macht Frei
      Killing it is the new killing it
      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand View Post
        I think KH must have been overly tired if he was bragging about 60 hour weeks. Of course, he may have been being facetious.
        60 is a joke. Most people are just unbelievably lazy. For the last half year of my PhD I was working ~110 hours a week.
        Stadtluft Macht Frei
        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Thanks for the swift reply!

Originally posted by KrazyHorse View Post
          2) lunchbreak?
          I do hope you eat something in between in those twelve hours.

5) No, I live in a civilized place where stores stay open til midnight
          Ah, that does explain to me one of the biggest mysteries about long workdays. Though one could argue about using that as a positive measuring staff for 'civilization'.

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse View Post
            60 is a joke. Most people are just unbelievably lazy. For the last half year of my PhD I was working ~110 hours a week.
            7) Did you have time to shower?

Comment

I may be wrong, but I think KH is allergic to water unless it's diluted with alchohol
              With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

60 is a joke. Most people are just unbelievably lazy.

QFT

Comment

Mine:

1 hour transit each day (bike)
                  5-7 days a week
                  5-16 hours a day, this includes a 1 hour lunch, also includes some inefficient time
                  I sleep 5-8 hours a night

No kids.

I go to church some weeks, I go to the gym 2-4 times a week, I read books or play video games or do something social (not church) a couple of times a week.

A shower every day.

Not living in a place with late stores, I don't actually have much food and eat out a lot. I stock up at work (and sometimes at home) on the weekends, when I normally work less hours (or funnier hours, like to 5am).

I don't believe I have much effectiveness over 80 hours, and definitely prefer 60 or under.

JM
                  Jon Miller-
                  I AM.CANADIAN
                  GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

1) No, 21hrs core - but I'm often doing the extra day's overtime when needed...
                    2) Of course!
                    3) 1hr per week
                    4) 7-8
                    5) Usually on my way home from work as I have to pass through town - I can be home after doing the shopping within 30 mins of leaving the office
                    6) Yes, but I don't look after him
                    7) Loads!
                    Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

Originally posted by Maniac View Post
                      7) Did you have time to shower?
                      Barely. Wife took good care of me during that time.
                      Stadtluft Macht Frei
                      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by Maniac View Post
                        I do hope you eat something in between in those twelve hours.
                        At my desk, yes.
                        Stadtluft Macht Frei
                        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I spent summers working two full-time jobs... one of my jobs even had me getting regular OT. I would average about 90-100 hours a week working but I kind of got it to work except for two rough spots on the tail-ends.

I worked 7-5 M-F at one job and overnight at my other job (Thurs-Mon) supposed to be 10pm-6am but I typically had to come in at 6pm.

My weekly routine was I slept Saturday, worked Saturday night, slept Sunday morning, then worked effectively a double between the two jobs from Sunday night til Monday afternoon.. got to sleep that night, worked Tuesday morning... worked Wednesday morning... worked Thursday morning then that night went to my Thursday night job left there and went straight to my Friday morning job, then back to my Friday night job and repeat. The ends were the problem.

During my semesters, I still worked those two jobs but the night job I only worked on Friday and Saturday nights and ultimately just Saturday though I made it a 20 hour shift working from 6 pm- 12 pm. So during the school year, I was working 60 hours a week but, as KH can tell you, my major Finance is a piece of cake so I still finished off magna *** laude and made the Dean's List (almost) every semester

That is why I don't mind being unemployed for an extended period right now. I've done a fair amount of work for years.
                          "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
                          "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Usually around 8-10 hours / day, including weekend... --> ~56-70 hrs / week
                            as I can do most of the (programming) work @ home time spent for transit isnt too much
                            (if they appear I label them as worktime however )
                            as my usual sleep time is ~6 hours a day, there is usually enough time for other things besides working
                            (unless at crunch times when there might be more hours/day spent with work)
                            Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                            Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

What is this, some kind of 'who's done the most hours willy waving' or something...?

Kinda reminds me of:

Monty Python's Flying Circus -
                              "Four Yorkshiremen"

[ from the album Live At Drury Lane, 1974 ]

The Players:
                              Michael Palin - First Yorkshireman;
                              Graham Chapman - Second Yorkshireman;
                              Terry Jones - Third Yorkshireman;
                              Eric Idle - Fourth Yorkshireman;
                              The Scene:
                              Four well-dressed men are sitting together at a vacation resort.
                              'Farewell to Thee' is played in the background on Hawaiian guitar.
                              FIRST YORKSHIREMAN:
                              Aye, very passable, that, very passable bit of risotto.
                              SECOND YORKSHIREMAN:
                              Nothing like a good glass of Château de Chasselas, eh, Josiah?
                              THIRD YORKSHIREMAN:
                              You're right there, Obadiah.
                              FOURTH YORKSHIREMAN:
                              Who'd have thought thirty year ago we'd all be sittin' here drinking Château de Chasselas, eh?
                              FIRST YORKSHIREMAN:
                              In them days we was glad to have the price of a cup o' tea.
                              SECOND YORKSHIREMAN:
                              A cup o' cold tea.
                              FOURTH YORKSHIREMAN:
                              Without milk or sugar.
                              THIRD YORKSHIREMAN:
                              Or tea.
                              FIRST YORKSHIREMAN:
                              In a cracked cup, an' all.
                              FOURTH YORKSHIREMAN:
                              Oh, we never had a cup. We used to have to drink out of a rolled up newspaper.
                              SECOND YORKSHIREMAN:
                              The best we could manage was to suck on a piece of damp cloth.
                              THIRD YORKSHIREMAN:
                              But you know, we were happy in those days, though we were poor.
                              FIRST YORKSHIREMAN:
                              Because we were poor. My old Dad used to say to me, "Money doesn't buy you happiness, son".
                              FOURTH YORKSHIREMAN:
                              Aye, 'e was right.
                              FIRST YORKSHIREMAN:
                              Aye, 'e was.
                              FOURTH YORKSHIREMAN:
                              I was happier then and I had nothin'. We used to live in this tiny old house with great big holes in the roof.
                              SECOND YORKSHIREMAN:
                              House! You were lucky to live in a house! We used to live in one room, all twenty-six of us, no furniture, 'alf the floor was missing, and we were all 'uddled together in one corner for fear of falling.
                              THIRD YORKSHIREMAN:
                              Eh, you were lucky to have a room! We used to have to live in t' corridor!
                              FIRST YORKSHIREMAN:
                              Oh, we used to dream of livin' in a corridor! Would ha' been a palace to us. We used to live in an old water tank on a rubbish tip. We got woke up every morning by having a load of rotting fish dumped all over us! House? Huh.
                              FOURTH YORKSHIREMAN:
                              Well, when I say 'house' it was only a hole in the ground covered by a sheet of tarpaulin, but it was a house to us.
                              SECOND YORKSHIREMAN:
                              We were evicted from our 'ole in the ground; we 'ad to go and live in a lake.
                              THIRD YORKSHIREMAN:
                              You were lucky to have a lake! There were a hundred and fifty of us living in t' shoebox in t' middle o' road.
                              FIRST YORKSHIREMAN:
                              Cardboard box?
                              THIRD YORKSHIREMAN:
                              Aye.
                              FIRST YORKSHIREMAN:
                              You were lucky. We lived for three months in a paper bag in a septic tank. We used to have to get up at six in the morning, clean the paper bag, eat a crust of stale bread, go to work down t' mill, fourteen hours a day, week-in week-out, for sixpence a week, and when we got home our Dad would thrash us to sleep wi' his belt.
                              SECOND YORKSHIREMAN:
                              Luxury. We used to have to get out of the lake at six o'clock in the morning, clean the lake, eat a handful of 'ot gravel, work twenty hour day at mill for tuppence a month, come home, and Dad would thrash us to sleep with a broken bottle, if we were lucky!
                              THIRD YORKSHIREMAN:
                              Well, of course, we had it tough. We used to 'ave to get up out of shoebox at twelve o'clock at night and lick road clean wit' tongue. We had two bits of cold gravel, worked twenty-four hours a day at mill for sixpence every four years, and when we got home our Dad would slice us in two wit' bread knife.
                              FOURTH YORKSHIREMAN:
                              Right. I had to get up in the morning at ten o'clock at night half an hour before I went to bed, drink a cup of sulphuric acid, work twenty-nine hours a day down mill, and pay mill owner for permission to come to work, and when we got home, our Dad and our mother would kill us and dance about on our graves singing Hallelujah.
                              FIRST YORKSHIREMAN:
                              And you try and tell the young people of today that ..... they won't believe you.
                              ALL:
                              They won't!
                              I used to do a KH at CSFB about a decade ago. It cost me a relationship and I decided never again!

Hence I do the opposite and boast about how few hours I do and how effortless my 'commute' to work is...
                              Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

Working...
                              X