Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So, what's this Ryder Cup golf crap then?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Actually, if I did, my commute would be even less, probably 5 minutes!
    Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

Best Ryder Cup Ever!

WALES last night reaped the plaudits after the nation’s first ever Ryder Cup proved its capacity to make a huge success of global events.

But those who worked to bring the flagship golfing contest to Celtic Manor refused to rest on their laurels, insisting that the hard work to ensure the legacy of the event will only now begin.

Speaking as he congratulated the European team on its narrow victory, First Minister Carwyn Jones said that while organisers could congratulate themselves on their achievement, it was important not to become complacent about any economic benefit.

“This past week has been fantastic for raising the profile of Wales to an international audience, both those who made the trip to the Celtic Manor and those watching on television around the world,” he said.

“We have been at the forefront of the sporting world and it has been a great opportunity to sell Wales to the world.

“But the Ryder Cup doesn’t end when the last ball goes into the hole.

“Our job now is to work hard to capitalise on the profile which Wales has gained this week.”

Mr Jones also spoke of his relief about the improved weather on the final day that left attention firmly focused on a riveting day’s play.

“People’s memory will now be of the last day, it has been a nice, sunny day with people out there in short sleeves. It’s a great finish and a great day for Wales,” he said.

“We had 15 days worth of rain in seven hours on Friday, the fact that the course was playable on Friday afternoon was miraculous and a tribute to the work that the ground staff put in. The feedback we have had from people is that they think this has gone really well. In fact many have said that this is the best Ryder Cup ever, now people don’t have to say that for the sake of being polite to their hosts.”

Mr Jones also dismissed claims that the long-promised legacy of establishing Wales as a golf destination had been damaged by the weather.

“I think there is just a bit of prejudice about Wales as if Wales is uniquely wet compared with Scotland, Ireland or London for that matter,” he added.

“It’s important that people enjoyed their four days in Wales and we can say that it was so popular that people wanted to stay an extra day.

“When we finish this evening a lot of people will be breathing a sigh of relief, but a lot of people will be saying a job well done.”

David Cameron echoed Mr Jones’ relief about Monday’s fine weather. “After a stormy weekend, we will long remember the drama of the first ever Ryder Cup Monday played in the Welsh sunshine,” he said.

American visitors who travelled to Wales in their droves to support the team were left hugely impressed by the event.

Speaking on their behalf, PGA of America chairman Jim Remy claimed the welcome extended to visitors to the Usk Valley had more than made up for the inclement conditions.

“We have witnessed a special week,” he said. “It is clear that there is nothing like Welsh hospitality.” His European counterpart Phil Weaver added: “We have been challenged by difficult conditions but thanks to the good people of Wales we have overcome.”

Rhodri Morgan was First Minister when Wales first won the right to host this year’s event, and was in Valhalla two years ago as the baton for the contest was passed from the US to Europe.

He reiterated calls to ensure the long-term economic benefit from the most high-profile sporting event ever staged in Wales does not go to waste.

“The weather on Monday was so fantastic that it will blow away the memories of the rain,” he said.

“It is clear to me the Ryder Cup has never been played in such a beautiful location.

“Up to a billion people have seen the natural beauty Wales has to offer, and now it’s up to the people of Wales to make the most of it.

“We have to create the legacy, it won’t be given to us.

“Never again will we have such a good opportunity to sell Wales to the world.

“We have to make it happen for ourselves.”

More congratulations for the host nation of the tournament, the only sporting event in which Europe competes under a single flag, came from European Commission president José Manuel Barroso.

In a message to captain Colin Montgomerie, he said: “On behalf of the European Commission, I would like to offer my congratulations to you and your team for the stunning victory in the Ryder Cup this weekend.

“You have made the whole of Europe proud.

“You have led your team with passion, determination, great skill and outstanding sportsmanship.

“This victory will be remembered for many years to come.”
      http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sports/...yder-cup-2010/

Comment

LOL

What a joke.
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Wait, it gets better: last month Cardiff hosted the (Warren) Buffet Cup for Bridge...

The US won that one...

Comment

Working...
          X