Royal Danish Navy's 500 years birthday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kitschum:

Your stats are also wrong because your numbers don't compare.

# ^ This is the total number of casualties suffered by the Allied forces up to the end of August. The Allied forces suffered 36,976 killed, 153,475 wounded and 19,221 missing. Split between the Army-Groups; the Anglo-Canadian Army-Group suffered 16,138 killed, 58,594 wounded and 9,093 missing for a total of 83,825 casualties. The American Army-Group suffered 20,838 killed, 94,881 wounded and 10,128 missing for a total of 125,847 casualties.[6]
    Tamelander states that the German army committed 600,000 men to Normandy and 230,000 to Southern France during the period between 1st June and 31st Juli. Of these forces stationed in France, 288,875 men were lost, a figure that breaks down to 23,019 dead, 67,240 wounded, and 198,616 missing.
    Of course Allied casualties are higher! You're counting August's Allied casualties but not August's German casualties.
    "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Originally posted by Asher View Post
      I'm sure the Canadian soldiers scored higher than the American ones in WW2. Same with air aces.
      No. Dick Bong shot down 40. Yes. That was his name.

The top Canadian was William T. Klersey with 16.5 kills. Aussies and New Zealanders shot down more than him. Hell, Czech fighter pilots had more than that.
      "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
        Kitschum:

Your stats are also wrong because your numbers don't compare.
        My stats are not wrong. You're not quoting the whole thing.

It says that 600k (edit: to Normandy) and 230k (edit: to S. France) were committed until 31 July, but the casualty figures are clearly for a longer period as the reference to the Falaise pocket makes clear.

Comment

No. Dick Bong shot down 40. Yes. That was his name.
          Shooting down Zeros doesn't count.
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
          Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

"The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

World War 1.

Secondly, why does shooting down Zeros not count?

In early combat operations, the Zero gained a legendary reputation as a "dogfighter", achieving the outstanding kill ratio of 12 to 1,[2] but by 1942 a combination of new tactics and the introduction of better equipment enabled the Allied pilots to engage the Zero on more equal terms.

Comment

If you've ever driven a Mitsubishi, you'd know.

Zero pilots also had a tendency to crash their own planes.

Comment

Originally posted by Asher View Post
                  If you've ever driven a Mitsubishi, you'd know.

Zero pilots also had a tendency to crash their own planes.
                  Not til the end of the war.

Consider, Hiroyoshi Nishizawa, the top Japanese ace shot down 87 Allied planes.

Japanese fighter pilots were among the best in the world and the Zero was far superior to anything the US military had until the invention of the Hellcat and Corsair.

Comment

The P-38 was good.

Comment

French fighter planes
                      Blah

Comment

Originally posted by Elok View Post

Xpost. By the by, if we're talking armament, Wiki says that little ship has eight anti-ship missiles and a single gun turret, plus mines and depth charges.

I also note the Swedish ship has no SAMs.

If a plane spots it, it's screwed.
                        The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Originally posted by Bugs ****ing Bunny View Post
                          I also note the Swedish ship has no SAMs.

If a plane spots it, it's screwed.

I also forgot to mention that the amphibious assault vessel also has:

• 2 × NATO Sea Sparrow missile systems
                          • 2 × Rolling Airframe Missile systems
                          Both of those along with the PHALANX system I mentioned earlier are surface to air and anti-missile defense systems. That Swedish ship is ZERO threat. And since the Wasp also has a complement of helicopters and Harriers, it's really ZERO threat.
                          Last edited by Al B. Sure!; August 10, 2010, 01:47.

Comment

Both of those along with the PHALANX system I mentioned earlier are surface to air and anti-missile defense systems. That Swedish ship is ZERO threat. And since the Wasp also has a complement of helicopters and Harriers, it's really ZERO threat.
                            Since you guys has destroyed the purpose of the thread I'll just chime in with this :

Read the latest headlines, news stories, and opinion from Politics, Entertainment, Life, Perspectives, and more.

Bye bye US carriers
                            With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Let's not forget this:

Blah

Comment

Dumbass... D-Day was an amphibious invasion! Do you realize how difficult that is?

... or he's trolling and hooked you pretty good.
                                (\__/)
                                (='.'=)
                                (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Working...
                                X