Royal Danish Navy's 500 years birthday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Royal Danish Navy's 500 years birthday

August the 10 1510 the RDN was created. It's quite good today, but at it's highest it was larger than spanish, dutch and english navies.

If you are visiting Denmark the next week there are a number of arrangements :

and no, I have no ****ing clue why it's only in danish

Just out of curiosity - when did your countrys fleet go from privateers to a state institution ?
    With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

13 October 1775
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Your navy is puny, and so is your country.
      If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
      ){ :|:& };:

Comment

If it was created in 1510 it was never bigger than the Spanish, British or Dutch navy

Did you mean Viking times?
        I need a foot massage

Comment

Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
          Your navy is puny, and so is your country.
          Congrats, you just have earned to end up in the box with BK. Not so much for what you said but for the mindset behind - enjoy.

PS. Don't start to scream if Ben touches you where you don't want to be touched by Ben - it just encourages him
          With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

All I know about that period in Danish history I learned from Europa Universalis. You guys were briefly on top... Kalmar Union... Norway and Sweden as your *****es...

What happened? You could've had class. You could've been a contender! You could've been somebody, instead of the bum of Europe!
            "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
            "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Originally posted by Barnabas View Post
              If it was created in 1510 it was never bigger than the Spanish, British or Dutch navy

Did you mean Viking times?
              Nope, but dammit if I can find that note for the moment.

Edit: Please note that I'm talking about government fleet. That incident with the brits and spaniards wasn't gov fleets.
              Last edited by BlackCat; August 8, 2010, 19:47.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
                All I know about that period in Danish history I learned from Europa Universalis. You guys were briefly on top... Kalmar Union... Norway and Sweden as your *****es...

What happened? You could've had class. You could've been a contender! You could've been somebody, instead of the bum of Europe!
                It's the swedes that are the bum of europe Actually, they are also to be blamed for our detour - their envy to our grandness made them go to war with us

Steven Weinberg

Comment

And kick Danish ass all across the Baltic!

I notice that centuries later, the Nazis didn't even bother to invade Sweden but they over-ran Denmark in about 12 hours. Apparently, they must've been more scared of Sweden than the Soviet Union, UK, and US COMBINED!
                  "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
                  "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
                    And kick Danish ass all across the Baltic!

I notice that centuries later, the Nazis didn't even bother to invade Sweden but they over-ran Denmark in about 12 hours. Apparently, they must've been more scared of Sweden than the Soviet Union, UK, and US COMBINED!
                    Yeah, the nazis of course was worried and attacked possible enemies, so they attacked denmark and norway, but sweden ? No way. They were a puppet state that was a trusted deliverer of much needed iron ore, ball bearings and other industrial goods.

Edit: dammit, totally forgot - the swedes also allowed reinforcements going from occupied norway to finland - sorry.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Hate to break it to ya, but a dude in a rowboat with a scaling knife does not a navy make.
                      "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                      "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Originally posted by Guynemer View Post
                        Hate to break it to ya, but a dude in a rowboat with a scaling knife does not a navy make.
                        Well, guess that was the reason we put cannons aboard the rowboats

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
                          GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

Originally posted by BlackCat View Post
                            Well, guess that was the reason we put cannons aboard the rowboats

I'd love to see someone attempt that. If they fired, would the rowboat just shatter, or spin around like a Catherine Wheel?
                            The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Originally posted by Bugs ****ing Bunny View Post
                              I'd love to see someone attempt that. If they fired, would the rowboat just shatter, or spin around like a Catherine Wheel?
                              There is a nice drawing of such taking a british ship here :

Hope you don't spin and shatter too much

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Working...
                              X