Royal Danish Navy's 500 years birthday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kitschum View Post
    It's a stealth ship, dumbass. It's internal.

Are you supposed to be the future of the US armed forces, Albert? Things are looking rather bleak for the American empire, isn't it?
    Not really when we have ships like this:

With 1900 Marines on board.

Who cares about radar profiles when we can destroy anything you got?
    "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

One anti-ship missile and it's bye-bye for that floating hearse. I'd like to see that hunk of junk in a Swedish archipelago.

Comment

One anti-ship missile and it's bye-bye for that floating hearse. I'd like to see that hunk of junk in a Swedish archipelago.
        Good luck getting the anti-ship missile to hit it...

Three 20 mm Phalanx CIWS systems (LHD 5-7 with two)
        Bye bye missile
        "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Yes, good luck to hit that huge square piece of ww2 technology. Dumbass.

Comment

Yes, good luck to hit that huge square piece of ww2 technology. Dumbass.
            Maybe you don't understand what anti-missile defense is?

Comment

Are you supposed to be the future of the US armed forces, Albert?
              Well, they are talking about repealing DADT. :rimshot:

I kid, I kid. Anyway, I looked up Phalanx on Wiki and it seems it's a system of autotracking anti-missile gatling guns. It also says they're intended as a final line of defense, but three presumptively are adequate for a ship that size, so anti-ship missiles wouldn't have such an easy time. But comparing a small stealth patrol ship (I assume it's a patrol ship) to a massive floating carrier is pretty apples-and-oranges.

Xpost. By the by, if we're talking armament, Wiki says that little ship has eight anti-ship missiles and a single gun turret, plus mines and depth charges.

Second edit: Wiki also says that particular ship has two, not three, Phalanx systems, FYI.
              1011 1100
              Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Originally posted by Al B. Sure!
                Maybe you don't understand what anti-missile defense is?
                Maybe you don't understand 'obsolete'? Do you understand 'decline'? How about 'collapse of the American empire'?

I know you're insecure and all, and you're making up for it by being all gung-ho [M]arine, but the truth, which you know as well as I, is that no sensible person would build a new carrier today. You're never going to convince me that a carrier is anywhere near as cost effective as the price of the missiles that will take it down. If not the first, the second will, or the third, it's still a bargain.

Comment

Elok:

It's not a massive floating carrier... it's an amphibious assault ship capable of landing up to 2200 Marines either via air or landing craft.

The US Navy has 8 of these babies...

And its laughable to think that any nation on the planet could possibly compete with the United States on sea.

Comment

Maybe you don't understand 'obsolete'? Do you understand 'decline'? How about 'collapse of the American empire'?

I know you're insecure and all, and you're making up for it by being all gung-ho [M]arine, but the truth, which you know as well as I, is that no sensible person would build a new carrier today. You're never going to convince me that a carrier is anywhere near as cost effective as the price of the missiles that will take it down. If not the first, the second will, or the third, it's still a bargain.
                    Carrier?

This isn't an aircraft carrier. It's an assault ship.

Comment

Originally posted by Elok View Post
                      Xpost. By the by, if we're talking armament, Wiki says that little ship has eight anti-ship missiles and a single gun turret, plus mines and depth charges.
                      The carrier doesn't stand a chance.

Second edit: Wiki also says that particular ship has two, not three, Phalanx systems, FYI.
                      What a waste.

Comment

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
                        And its laughable to think that any nation on the planet could possibly compete with the United States on sea.
                        Not on sea, on shore. Which none of those beasts - and I don't care what you call them - would come close to.

Comment

Originally posted by Elok View Post
                          The USS Wasp has 2 but some of the USS Wasp-class have 3 and others have 2. It's variable.

Comment

If it is in fact an assault ship, it's intended for staging invasions, not open naval warfare--much as an ancient siege tower, impressive as it was, was never intended for use on a battlefield. Probably the way the designers figured, if it comes under missile fire in the first place, somebody's ****ed up pretty bad. The carriers have AEGIS or something, I don't know. I assume that, if the Wasp doesn't like anti-ship missiles, the Visby isn't terribly fond of aircraft either. I don't know how effective that stealth is, but if it's in any way compromised a single gun isn't going to do squat, that's for sure.
                            1011 1100
                            Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Not on sea, on shore. Which none of those beasts - and I don't care what you call them - would come close to.
                              It won't need to when these come streaming towards shore:

With these overhead airdropping Marines:

What your beaches going to do now?

Comment

I know you're insecure and all, and you're making up for it by being all gung-ho [M]arine, but the truth, which you know as well as I, is that no sensible person would build a new carrier today.

Several nations which currently possess aircraft carriers are in the process of planning new classes to replace current ones. The world's navies still generally see the aircraft carrier as the main future capital ship, with developments such as the arsenal ship, which have been promoted as an alternative, seen as too limited in terms of flexibility
                                Nations planning future carriers:

China
                                India
                                Russia
                                Spain
                                UK
                                USA

Yes, we're all sure you know better than the military leadership of all the world's most powerful militaries.
                                Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Working...
                                X