Hey, have you been working out?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Az View Post
    a) when you are consuming carbs in a high rate, like a meal full of carbs, you are stopping the ketogenesis process (ejection of fat from tissues and turning into ketones). If you stop this process, then the body experiences a temporary slowdown. I would rather have it once a week only.
    Okay, I kind of get what you're getting at I think. You want to increase the amount of energy your body gets from breaking down fat, right?

The Nutrition Recommendations for Canadians state that the diet should provide 55% of energy as carbohydrate from a variety of sources. For athletes, it is recommended that 60% of total energy come from carbohydrates. Endurance athletes like marathon runners and triathletes can require up to 70 per cent of their total calories from carbohydrates.

Without adequate dietary carbohydrates, the body inefficiently converts fat stores and proteins from muscles into energy. This can increase muscle breakdown during exercise and impact overall fitness.
    http://www.healthcastle.com/sports_n...hydrates.shtml

Also, if I were to consider your diet I would consider the high bad fat and bad colesteral intake a con. You could go with good fats, but that's kind of hard for breakfast. Other cons would be lack of antioxidants and fiber.
    If you exercise regularly and with high intensity, the first thing that would be done woulde be the replenishment of your glycogen reservoires in the muscles.
    If your body is getting it's energy from fat reserves why would glycogen need to be replenished, and doesn't low blood sugar make you tired?
    Last edited by Kidlicious; August 20, 2010, 14:23.
    I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
    - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

• Kidicious, part of the idea is that primitive peoples lived on low carb, high protein and fat diets (obviously since agriculture is a relatively recent development) and that we as humans have evolved to operate best on this sort of diet. It's basically the 'natural' way for humans to eat.

I have already said that AZ's lack of fruits is questionable, however. He needs the fiber fruits provide for one and he's the first Paleo-eater I've seen who rejects fruits. I get why he doesn't eat them but you'll never see another Paleo person rejecting fruit.
      "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
      "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

• Today was:
        3/2/2 dips (pretty terrible attempts)
        8/4/4 chest cable fly (40/50/50)
        stomach
        4/4/8 vertical press (16/16/11)
        6/6/6 tricep pulldowns (20/20/20)
        6/6/4 machine incline? press (70/70/70) (98/98/98 negative)

20 minutes cardio

JM
        Jon Miller-
        I AM.CANADIAN
        GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kidicious View Post
          Okay, I kind of get what you're getting at I think. You want to increase the amount of energy your body gets from breaking down fat, right?

http://www.healthcastle.com/sports_n...hydrates.shtml
          oh no, the body inefficiently converts the fat into energy! I think I am going to starve. This is the entire point, the effective caloric intake is reduced, even though the nominal remains the same. And trust me, there will be no muscle tissue breakdown as long as you work out and consume protein. I honestly care less and less about "mainstream" wisdom on the issue. It has failed our entire generation, as can be clearly demonstrated by the lardasses you see around in your own neighborhood.

Also, if I were to consider your diet I would consider the high bad fat and bad colesteral intake a con. You could go with good fats, but that's kind of hard for breakfast. Other cons would be lack of antioxidants and fiber.
          "cholesterol problems" are first and foremost a triglyceride issue, and even LDL cholesterol has lower correlation with heart desease than triglycerides. Guess what causes a high triglyceride count? carbs.

If your body is getting it's energy from fat reserves why would glycogen need to be replenished, and doesn't low blood sugar make you tired?
          during a workout you need a high influx of energy, rapidly. fat reserves are released into the body slowly. a carb storage allows for rapid energy to get to the muscles, which allows you to strain yourself more which place the plank higher for muscles in the healing process.
          urgh.NSFW

Comment

• Originally posted by Az View Post
            oh no, the body inefficiently converts the fat into energy! I think I am going to starve.
            Starvation, by definition, is the lack of necessary nutrients in the body. I don't think energy can be considered a necessary nutrient in this context. The point, however, is to have as much energy as possible when doing work. That way you maximise performance. If you maximise performance you can potentially build more muscle. I say potentially because if you are losing weight you will canablize muscle as well as fat. There's no getting around that. It doesn't matter how much protein you take in. btw, using protein as energy for work is bad for your kidneys in the long run. Whoever is telling you to use protein for energy is doing you harm. Protein should only be about 10% or your calories.
            This is the entire point, the effective caloric intake is reduced, even though the nominal remains the same. And trust me, there will be no muscle tissue breakdown as long as you work out and consume protein.
            This isn't right. Nominal intake is effective intake. If you take in more calories than you burn you will gain weight and if you take in less you will lose weight. And I already mentioned something about the protein issue.
            I honestly care less and less about "mainstream" wisdom on the issue. It has failed our entire generation, as can be clearly demonstrated by the lardasses you see around in your own neighborhood.
            You don't care what sports nutritionists say?! I challenge you to find a lard ass that follows the advice of a sports nutritionist to the T. They don't. It's a simple matter of calculating your caloric intake and your caloric usage and managing your weight. The reason for the carbs is that carbs give you an efficient way to get energy to do work. The more efficiently you work the more work you will do (perform better). Is that a difficult concept for you?

"cholesterol problems" are first and foremost a triglyceride issue, and even LDL cholesterol has lower correlation with heart desease than triglycerides. Guess what causes a high triglyceride count? carbs.
            I'd ask you for a source, but you don't feel the need for one do you.
            during a workout you need a high influx of energy, rapidly. fat reserves are released into the body slowly. a carb storage allows for rapid energy to get to the muscles, which allows you to strain yourself more which place the plank higher for muscles in the healing process.
            No duh! So carbs are good for doing work. The question is why only eat them irregularly. During the week you are draining yourself of energy that can be efficiently used for your work out.

Comment

• Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
              Kidicious, part of the idea is that primitive peoples lived on low carb, high protein and fat diets (obviously since agriculture is a relatively recent development) and that we as humans have evolved to operate best on this sort of diet. It's basically the 'natural' way for humans to eat.
              You stupid cow. There's nothing unnatural about eating carbohydrates.

Comment

• Umm... did paleolithic humans eat grains? did humans evolve to eat a primarily grain diet? 6-12 servings of bread a day?
                "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

• [QUOTE=Kidicious;5848931]Starvation, by definition, is the lack of necessary nutrients in the body. I don't think energy can be considered a necessary nutrient in this context. The point, however, is to have as much energy as possible when doing work. That way you maximise performance. If you maximise performance you can potentially build more muscle. I say potentially because if you are losing weight you will canablize muscle as well as fat. There's no getting around that. It doesn't matter how much protein you take in. btw, using protein as energy for work is bad for your kidneys in the long run. Whoever is telling you to use protein for energy is doing you harm. Protein should only be about 10% or your calories.
                  [QUOTE]
                  noone is saying "use protein for energy". What is being said is that with proper protein intake, and strength workout, your muscles will not suffer.

This isn't right. Nominal intake is effective intake. If you take in more calories than you burn you will gain weight and if you take in less you will lose weight. And I already mentioned something about the protein issue.
                  this isn't completely correct. when carbs and fats are eaten together, there is an almost complete prefence to carbs consumption. Which means that fat is getting stored. This is similar to alcohol consumption. Once you have alcohol in your bloodstream, the body switches to alcohol for energy in metabolism. This is why beer is bad.

You don't care what sports nutritionists say?! I challenge you to find a lard ass that follows the advice of a sports nutritionist to the T. They don't. It's a simple matter of calculating your caloric intake and your caloric usage and managing your weight. The reason for the carbs is that carbs give you an efficient way to get energy to do work. The more efficiently you work the more work you will do (perform better). Is that a difficult concept for you?
                  Not at all, and I fully expect to return to eating carbs when I lose some more weight. HOWEVER, when your number one issue is fat tissue loss, you need to efficiently restrict your calories by which I mean engage the fat burning mechanism in your body, and not consume carbs and fats together.

I'd ask you for a source, but you don't feel the need for one do you.
                  check out the berkeley school of nutrition online.

No duh! So carbs are good for doing work. The question is why only eat them irregularly. During the week you are draining yourself of energy that can be efficiently used for your work out.
                  This is because my first and foremost current intent is to lose bodyfat%
                  urgh.NSFW

Comment

• today:

6/4/3 chinups
                    4/4/4 lunegs (22/22/22)
                    6/4/2 pullups
                    various barbell curls, deadlifts, cable rows (low reps/sets)

JM
                    Jon Miller-
                    I AM.CANADIAN
                    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

• OK, some advice...

I'm an old git and have to play 5-a-side football (soccer!) with a bunch of young 20 somethings. So, while everything is fine for the first 15 mins or so (we play for an hour), my energy levels take a serious dive after that and my legs feel like lead.

So, what's the best way of ensuring you have a massive store of energy to see you through a whole game?

So, suggestions, apart from give up you old git!
                      Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

Last edited by ZEE; December 22, 2010, 20:08.
                        Order of the Fly
                        Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

• Amphetamines.
                          The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

• Keep playing. You'll build up your endurance at anything if you keep doing it.

Comment

• Originally posted by MOBIUS View Post
                              OK, some advice...

I'm an old git and have to play 5-a-side football (soccer!) with a bunch of young 20 somethings. So, while everything is fine for the first 15 mins or so (we play for an hour), my energy levels take a serious dive after that and my legs feel like lead.

So, what's the best way of ensuring you have a massive store of energy to see you through a whole game?

So, suggestions, apart from give up you old git!
                              Assuming you play once a week, interval training on other weekdays should be right. But interval training isn't something you just waltz into. first intensive cardio jogging should be done, then you start high intensity interval training.
                              urgh.NSFW

Comment

• So, you mean I have to make an effort!?
                                Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

Working...
                                X