The game of the name, Swedish edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nikolai View Post
    In Oslo the most popular name is Muhammad, with Ali not too far away.
    Is it really? That sounds like one of those unreferenced scary 'facts' certain people trot out at inopportune moments.

Mohammed is #65 (232), just below Jack (233). Ali is #95 (128), just below Dante (130).

Edit: Ah, I found this: http://www.ssb.no/navn/fylke/Oslo-menn.html

So there were 93 Mohammads vs 80 Jacobs born in Oslo. Norway will surely be swamped in no time! (Ali is not in the top 20. Nicolai is #16 with 49.) I guess Oslo Muslims have just run out of imagination.

Comment

Originally posted by Nikolai View Post
      Checked the links. Lots of good, old Swedish names there. Surprisingly old school.
      Yes, but Melvin, and Leo... Nova

Comment

Of the boys, I only got Alexander and Anton; of the girls, Emilia and Matilda

Comment

Originally posted by Kitschum View Post
          Is it really? That sounds like one of those unreferenced scary 'facts' certain people trot out at inopportune moments.

Mohammed is #65 (232), just below Jack (233). Ali is #95 (128), just below Dante (130).

So there were 93 Mohammads vs 80 Jacobs born in Oslo. Norway will surely be swamped in no time! (Ali is not in the top 20. Nicolai is #16 with 49.) I guess Oslo Muslims have just run out of imagination.
          Where did I say it would be swamped? I just pointed out that the answers of the quiz might be surprising. Was obviously wrong about Ali. But Muhammad still stands.
          Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
          I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
          Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Finland's Top 10 in 2010:

MEN
            Juhani 767
            Johannes 711
            Mikael 612
            Matias 537
            Onni 532
            Olavi 522
            Elias 484
            Ilmari 458
            Oliver 401
            Oskari 364

WOMEN
            Maria 1019
            Sofia 785
            Emilia 770
            Olivia 500
            Aino 402
            Matilda 377
            amanda 369
            Helmi 337
            Aurora 323
            Ilona 316

Would've expected names like Mikael and Sofia to be on the Swedish list as well.

Comment

Börje is the not the most statused of names (nor popular), but I haven't encountered any particular stereotype with it. The most famous Börje I can think of is Börje Salming, pretty legendary ice hockey player so the name can't be all bad.
              Finnish macho men think Swedes are all gay, and Börje is the most gay name of them all.

Comment

Originally posted by Kitschum View Post

Check the stats for the city of Malmö and you'll find Muhammed is #1 there as well, or at least it was in recent years. I'm surprised it didn't make its way to top 30 or even top 60.

Comment

Working...
                X