• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• breaking: the washington post still sucks

Holocaust group faults VRE contract

By Katherine Shaver
    Washington Post Staff Writer
    Wednesday, July 7, 2010; B01

Some Holocaust survivors are criticizing Virginia Railway Express for awarding an $85 million contract to operate and maintain its trains to a company partly owned by the French railway that transported people to Nazi concentration camps.

The company, Keolis Rail Services America, also has submitted a bid to the Maryland Transit Administration to operate the MARC Brunswick and Camden lines now under CSX control, a Keolis official said. The five-year contract is pending, a MARC spokesman said.

A group of 269 American Holocaust survivors objects to Keolis and its majority owner, the French railway company SNCF, seeking public rail service contracts across the country, said Dale Leibach of Washington-based Prism Public Affairs, which he said is doing pro bono public relations for the group. SNCF, which has been partly owned by the French government since 1938, transported nearly 77,000 Jews and other Holocaust victims from France to Nazi camps, according to historians.

Leibach said the group wants SNCF to describe, and apologize for, its role in the Holocaust and pay reparations to survivors and victims' families before it or any of its subsidiaries receive U.S. government contracts. The group formed in 2000 via word of mouth as part of a class-action lawsuit filed against SNCF in New York. The lawsuit, which was refiled in 2006 and is pending, seeks reparations for property taken from Holocaust victims when they boarded SNCF trains.

VRE is the first U.S. rail system Keolis would operate, but the company is seeking to run commuter rail systems in California, in addition to the two MARC lines, according to Steve Townsend, president of Keolis Rail Services Virginia.

Townsend said he has never heard complaints that Keolis, which was founded in the late 1990s, is too closely connected to the Holocaust via SNCF.

... click the link if you actually want to read more

the company is PARTLY OWNED by another company that SIXTY-FIVE YEARS AGO was run by Vichy France

What's next, boycotting every company that existed in Nazi Germany in the 1940s?

What does the Washington Post have to do with sucking for reporting a story?

And aren't there a lot of Jews who boycott Hugo Boss, Siemens, Volkswagen, Daimler, and other German companies involved in Nazi Germany?
    "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Holocaust survivors

Right, Kuci?
      "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

When 269 people make a written protest about which company makes some trains, it's a pretty big editorial statement for a national newspaper to run that on the front page.

edit: nvm, it was on the front page of the metro section, is still retarded

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker View Post

When 269 people make a written protest about which company makes some trains, it's a pretty big editorial statement for a national newspaper to run that on the front page.
          Front page stories often have less to do with the importance of the story and more to do with something that grabs your attention and promotes newspaper sales among non-subscribers.

Comment

It could have been 1 person making a protest... I'm glad we live in a society where the heartfelt views of even a few of us can be noted in the papers

Comment

Either that or the fact that it only took 269 Jews shows the overwhelming power of the American Jewry!

Comment

you're an idiot if you really believe that AS

It takes far fewer minority people crying outrage with the most ridiculous claims of racism to raise all hell.
                If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
                  you're an idiot if you really believe that AS

It takes far fewer minority people crying outrage with the most ridiculous claims of racism to raise all hell.
                  I know... minorities outraged with claims of racism... like Jews Ever heard of the biggest culprit of this... the Anti-Defamation League?

Comment

Are you ****ing retarded?
                    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                    Stadtluft Macht Frei
                    Killing it is the new killing it
                    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse View Post
                      Are you ****ing retarded?
                      Are you? He's referring to the NAACP or Al Sharpton making absurd claims of racism... don't act like the ADL doesn't do the same thing. Or do you forget episodes like the ADL calling Spike Lee anti-semitic?

Take this episode for example...

According to an April 13, 2001 article in The Forward, a federal judge "lambasted the organization for labeling a nasty neighborhood feud as an anti-Semitic event" and upheld most of William and Dorothy Quigley's $10 million lawsuit for defamation. In 1994, Candace and Mitchell Aronson, Jewish next door neighbors of the Quigleys, contacted the Denver ADL office, reporting overheard cordless phone conversations of the Quigleys discussing putting pictures of oven doors on the Aronsons' home (a reference to the Holocaust), burning the Aronson children and wishing the Aronsons had been killed in a suicide bombing. (The Quigleys later indicated that these remarks had been intended to be humorous.) [79] The Quigleys and the Aronsons had been engaged in an escalating series of petty disputes prior to this incident. The ADL also labelled the Quigleys as anti-Semites in a press conference which led to felony federal charges being filed against them.

Judge Edward W. Nottingham of the United States District Court for the District of Colorado wrote "it is not unreasonable to infer that public charges of anti-Semitism leveled by the ADL will be taken seriously and assumed by many to be true without question. In that respect, the ADL is in a unique position of being able to cause substantial harm to individuals when it lends its backing to allegations of anti-Semitism." The judge concluded that the ADL supported the Aronsons' accusations without investigating the case, or weighing of the consequences
                      Don't come in here calling me retarded cued only because I responded to your little Northern Virginian rich boy minions.

Comment

By the way, on the issue of boycotts, last month, the Zionist Organization of America urged Jews to boycott (not make money contributions or apply to attend) UC Irvine over allegations that the school didn't discipline 'anti-semitic' students. There are a lot of Jews and Jewish organizations that go into a frenzy over allegations of anti-semitism.

Comment

You ****ing ******, THIS THREAD IS BASED ON A HOLOCAUST GROUP COMPLAINING ABOUT DUBIOUS 2ND HAND ANTI-SEMITISM.

WTF is the matter with you, you idiot?

I take back my earlier apology to you. You are as thick as a ****ing brick.
                          12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                          Stadtluft Macht Frei
                          Killing it is the new killing it
                          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

More RE: ADL...

The longtime consumer advocate's willingness to criticize Israel may win him some votes, since both Bush and Democratic nominee John F. Kerry strongly support Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon. But not if Abraham H. Foxman, the national director of the league has anything to say about it. "What he said smacks of bigotry," Foxman said.

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse View Post
                              You ****ing ******, THIS THREAD IS BASED ON A HOLOCAUST GROUP COMPLAINING ABOUT DUBIOUS 2ND HAND ANTI-SEMITISM.

WTF is the matter with you, you idiot?

I take back my earlier apology to you. You are as thick as a ****ing brick.
                              Umm... let's see...

Kuci posts this talking smack about the Washington Post. I say well the Washington Post isn't wrong for just reporting a story!

He says it was on the frontpage and implies by noting 269 people that it's not big enough to be worthy of a story, meaning 269 people is not enough.

So I say it's good that a newspaper would report on the concerns of even a few people. I then make a smartass comment about hey maybe it shows the influence of American Jews that it only takes a few of them to get on the frontpage.

HC comes in and says that non-Jewish minorities will get all the attention in the world with 'ridiculous claims of racism'

So I note that the ADL has had its fair share of ridiculous claims of racism.

WHAT'S THE PROBLEM, KH?

Comment

Working...
                              X