No announcement yet.

Christianity ruins families.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's only symbolic for anyone who can read the text where the religious and political leaders and the ignorant masses took Jesus' words literally but Jesus explained to the disciples that his "words were spirit and they are life."
    (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
    (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
    (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

• Originally posted by Ming View Post

Finally, Christianity is the most persecuted of any religion.

I think there are a few other religions that might disagree with you on that point...
      I just stumbled over this report from Minority Right Group International. It's a report about religious and ethnic persecution in the world. Some general essays in the beginning, then reports from each country and continent. Some interesting reading. Not only Christianity of course, I'm not sure it makes a total for each religion, but interesting and important reading that I would recommend to check out.

Here's the entry for Egypt, as an example:

Egypt
      The year 2009 saw Egypt joining with the USA to
      sponsor a resolution before the UN Human Rights
      Council (HRC) that sought common ground
      between proponents of a prohibition on ‘defamation
      of religion’ and free speech advocates. However, the
      country did not fare better in ensuring the protec-
      tion of religious minorities within its territory.
      Alongside Baha’is, whose discrimination has
      been discussed above, Copts also continue to
      suffer religious persecution. In June 2009, the
      Catholic Online, the official online news source
      of the Catholic Church, reported that hundreds
      of young Coptic girls, including many under-age,
      have been kidnapped, raped, forced to convert to
      Islam and marry Muslim men. Egypt’s 12 million
      Copts comprise about 15 per cent of the popula-
      tion. According to the report, Christians who
      want to convert to Islam are welcomed with open
      arms, while Muslims who would like to convert to
      Christianity are usually imprisoned and tortured.
      Out of 444 representatives, Egypt’s parliament
      has just two Coptic elected representatives, one of
      whom was disqualified for holding dual citizenship.

But, of course, Christians can be fallable people too(in case someone doubted ), here's what a man of Mayan decent, who belong to the indigenous religion in El Salvador:

‘To begin with the Spanish changed the names our
      Mayan ancestors had given to all the rivers, the
      mountains, the valleys, volcanoes, the lakes and springs.
      These were sacred places and these names had real
      meaning and power. The ‘conquista’ began to name
      these places after their own religious saints. So now
      we have all these places, even volcanoes named after
      religious saints. They have no connection to us and our
      Mayan culture or ancestors or our traditional beliefs.
      But people don’t like it when you say things like that.
      They say you are not a Christian; you are not religious.
      This is the discrimination I am talking about.’

Good read, I recommend it for Christians and nonbelievers alike.
      Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
      I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
      Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kidicious View Post
        Do you mind telling us where you get this stuff?

btw, Jesus is the only God that came to earth and modelled a way of life for his followers to follow. That's why he prayed.
        A bunch of gods allegedly came down and did that... But he prayed to his father who is in Heaven... Not himself and not always for others to see how its done. So, who was Jesus talking to when he prayed if Jesus is God?

As for where I get stuff like that, the biblical stuff comes mainly from scholars - those with a background in Mesopotamian religions. Zecharia Sitchin came up with the possible link between the biblical 120 years of man and the Sumerian "sar", ie God's year, albeit I cant say he was the first. Joseph Campbell noted the precessional numbers built into Angkor Wat and the Norse end of the world story.

And I'm not really going to die either. Are you?
        I dont know, some say religion was an evolutionary adaptation to the "knowledge" of life and death (our mortality). We invented an afterlife (or something) to cope with the notion that we're gonna die and thats all she wrote. On the other hand, the universe is turning out to be one of those "stranger than fiction" realities and whatever or whomever is "responsible" for existence is far beyond my comprehension, so who really knows what happens when we die. Maybe we exit one door and enter another... Thats what I'd like to think, but I sure wont call it an absolute truth because it shows up in a book, even a science book.

This is the point. God is trying to have a relationship with you.
        Hi God... ... ... ...

Or as Lily Tomlin ??? said, when we talk to God its called prayer, when God talks back its schizophrenia. Why does the creator of existence need to engage in a 2000 year old human (deicide?) sacrifice to tell me I'm loved? How can anyone "logically" draw that connection? God has "us" kill his son because God loves us and having us kill his son will prove it. Yup, thats insanity.

If you want to nit pick the way you are then it's not going to happen. If you don't like the way God does things and you think you have a better way then it's not going to happen. You know if you can't be gratefull for what Jesus did for you then that's up to you. But here's the thing you really aren't making a good argument. I mean what's the point here?
        I'm not sure what Jesus did for me, but I sure as hell would not have sacrificed Jesus to show my love for others, whether or not I created them. This is the problem at the heart of your belief system, it sounds like some twist on a pagan ritual involving the death (execution?) of a deity. If you were "God" and you felt the need to show us critters you love us, cant you do it without having us kill your son? That just made Jews the targets of genocide Seriously, maybe just showing up like some shedding piglike animal (South Park's God) and telling me I'm loved would work wonders
        Last edited by Berzerker; August 2, 2010, 21:10.

Comment

Working...
        X