The Songs We Loathe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Songs We Loathe

I really hate "Imagine" by the Beatles. I especially hate it when people have you "enjoy" it while you wait for them to pick up their bloody phone. In fact, I generally think that's an obnoxious trend. Nobody wants to hear a ten-second snippet of "Don't Stop Believing" repeated umpteen times in a loop every damned time they call a person. I was never a huge fan of that song, but I thought it was all right before I discovered that one in five women in America has it on her cell phone. But this thread isn't about that. It's about "Imagine," and other songs YOU hate.

I hate "Imagine" because, basically, it's a musically mediocre song whose lyrics consist of a British musical group lecturing the whole bloody world on a grotesquely implausible set of solutions to all its problems. Hmm, no possessions, no countries, no God? Did that occur to you while you were freebasing heroin, or when you were posing for pics with some half-naked Indian dude? Maybe doing both at once? You're musicians, nobody cares about your whinging political opinions, and the quality of your music decreased markedly as your willingness to express those opinions grew.

Well, no, some people care, but my experience is that people who like that song are not the brightest bulbs in the chandelier. For instance, I once read an article about a hunter-gathering tribe still living in Africa the same way their ancestors lived about eight thousand years ago. They owned little, had no knowledge of external politics and only rudimentary spiritual beliefs. Somebody wrote a letter published in the next issue quoting the song and suggesting those people's carefree existence was so much better than ours. Because, you know, we all want a life expectancy of thirty-six or so, and to spend most of our days scrabbling barefoot through mud and thorns to spear a scrawny pig for dinner.

So, what songs do you hate, and why?
    Last edited by Elok; June 17, 2010, 22:27.
    1011 1100
    Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Wow. Yeah. Imagine sucks. It has a nice sound to it but the lyrics are drivel.
    "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Imagine is a John Lennon song, not a Beatles song.

So your whole premise for hating it went out the window, Elok.

ACK!
      Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

"The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Hanson... the girls that are brothers. I haven't heard that song in years!
          "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

There's a couple popular R&B/hiphop/rap songs I hear at the gym that drive me up the ****ing wall right now too. I don't know their names.
            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Since Asher brought up that abysmal period in popular music...

Take your pick as to which one you loathe the most:

ah... the mid-90's...

Comment

I got my mind set on you- by George Harrison, or if you are Elok, the Beatles.

LENNY KRAVITZ - FLY AWAY

ACK!
                Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

God the mid to late 90's sucked ass...

Comment

Originally posted by Tuberski View Post
                    I got my mind set on you- by George Harrison, or if you are Elok, the Beatles.

LENNY KRAVITZ - FLY AWAY

ACK!
                    YES! I ****ing HATE THIS SONG too.

In fact I can't think of a single Lenny Kravtiz song that is not nails on a chalkboard to me.

Comment

Actually I kind of liked Limp Bizkit back then...

Comment

midnight at the oasis

Comment

Train - Hey Soul Sister. Drives me up the ****ing wall. Doesn't help that it's one of my wife's current favorites. Pure pablum, musically shallow with stupid ****ing lyrics.

Lynyrd Skynyrd - Sweet Home Alabama. Every ****ing redneck douchebag in this state treats this piece of **** song like some kind of ****ing national anthem. If it weren't for those jackasses and the resultant overexposure, I'd see this as just a mediocre piece of typical '70s rock. Instead, I know it for the force of pure evil that it is.

Matchbox 20 - whatever song it is about wishing the real world would stop hassling him. Just shut the **** up, you whinging little *****.
                          Solomwi is very wise. - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

Originally posted by Solomwi View Post
                            Train - Hey Soul Sister. Drives me up the ****ing wall. Doesn't help that it's one of my wife's current favorites. Pure pablum, musically shallow with stupid ****ing lyrics.

Comment

Originally posted by Elok View Post
                              I really hate "Imagine" by the Beatles. I especially hate it when people have you "enjoy" it while you wait for them to pick up their bloody phone. In fact, I generally think that's an obnoxious trend. Nobody wants to hear a ten-second snippet of "Don't Stop Believing" repeated umpteen times in a loop every damned time they call a person. I was never a huge fan of that song, but I thought it was all right before I discovered that one in five women in America has it on her cell phone. But this thread isn't about that. It's about "Imagine," and other songs YOU hate.

I hate "Imagine" because, basically, it's a musically mediocre song whose lyrics consist of a British musical group lecturing the whole bloody world on a grotesquely implausible set of solutions to all its problems. Hmm, no possessions, no countries, no God? Did that occur to you while you were freebasing heroin, or when you were posing for pics with some half-naked Indian dude? Maybe doing both at once? You're musicians, nobody cares about your whinging political opinions, and the quality of your music decreased markedly as your willingness to express those opinions grew.

Well, no, some people care, but my experience is that people who like that song are not the brightest bulbs in the chandelier. For instance, I once read an article about a hunter-gathering tribe still living in Africa the same way their ancestors lived about eight thousand years ago. They owned little, had no knowledge of external politics and only rudimentary spiritual beliefs. Somebody wrote a letter published in the next issue quoting the song and suggesting those people's carefree existence was so much better than ours. Because, you know, we all want a life expectancy of thirty-six or so, and to spend most of our days scrabbling barefoot through mud and thorns to spear a scrawny pig for dinner.

So, what songs do you hate, and why?
                              Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Working...
                              X