$1.2 Billion for bike paths...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Albert Speer View Post
    What is inherently unsafe about riding a bike against traffic relative to riding a bike with traffic? When you ride with traffic, you can get rearended because you don't see the cars that are dangerous to you. Riding against traffic, both the driver and the bike rider can see each other and the bike rider can swerve away.
    You don't drive, do you?

Think about it.

If you each are going 50 mph, the combined speed is now 100mph. The crash hurts far more, and it happens far quicker. You also don't get to see the signals in advance as much.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

What bike is going 50 mph?

But I read Flubber's post and I can see why it would be problematic when turning at an intersection.

And no, like I said, I don't drive. I actually don't know how to drive.
      "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
      "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Umm... what does that have to do with what I said? Cars have their own lanes. I'm talking about a bike riding in the street without its own lane.

Right-- If there is no special lane, the BIKE Is a vehicle and just like all the rest

On the highway in particular when I am doing 70km/h I like the traffic to be behind me. Their relative closure speed on me may be 30-50 (assuming they are doing 100-120 instead of nearly 170-190 if we were head on
        You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

But I read Flubber's post and I can see why it would be problematic when turning at an intersection.

And no, like I said, I don't drive. I actually don't know how to drive.
          This is refreshing. Provost Harrison can't drive, but thinks that he can.
          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Almost none-- I have routinely been up above 70 km on a long long hill I know but I think asher was just using any old number for example purposes
            You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand View Post
              On a public street, the law is that bicyclists ride in single file next to the curb.
              When they ride in a group, taking up the lane, that's rude. You, get over it.
              Studies show that it is safer for a bike to take up a whole lane because drivers can see the biker easier and actually change lanes to pass. Perceived rudeness is just self-preservation in this instance.
              I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

On a public street, the law is that bicyclists ride in single file next to the curb.
                When they ride in a group, taking up the lane, that's rude. You, get over it.
                Not always next to the curb-- we sometimes have to do this crazy thing called turn left so we almost ride the centre line. The good thing for me is that my downtown commuting is all in rush hour when a bike can get from light to light faster than a car

Comment

Originally posted by DanS View Post
                  Studies show that it is safer for a bike to take up a whole lane because drivers can see the biker easier and actually change lanes to pass. Perceived rudeness is just self-preservation in this instance.
                  At most intersections I find the commuiting cyclists will cross as a pack for similar reasons-- The drivers SEE us when there are 10 of us

Comment

I'm curious as to what distance you are bicycling?
                    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

When it's a 2 lane road and bicyclists are taking up the lane, it's ****ing rude on THEIR part.
                      If you have to turn left, cross the intersection, get out of traffic, then walk or ride across the road. I'm talking about streets that haven't been upgraded to bicycle friendly standards.
                      Current laws are in place.
                      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

I'm curious as to what distance you are bicycling?
                        My commute is about 20km each way-- Its easy going in since there is a big hill down much of the first 5 km and then its flat with the predominant wind at your back-- In ther afternoon its a good workout for the same reasons (terrain/wind)

I ride longer somtimes in the area just west of the city on secondary roads/highways and a ride of 60km is a nice comfortable ride. I used to regularly do in excess of 100km but I don't have the time now

Comment

When it's a 2 lane road and bicyclists are taking up the lane, it's ****ing rude on THEIR part.
                          If you have to turn left, cross the intersection, get out of traffic, then walk or ride across the road. I'm talking about streets that haven't been upgraded to bicycle friendly standards.
                          Current laws are in place.
                          I try not to take up a lane but I am not getting off and walking-- My left turn generally takes no more time than any car-- If I am waiting to turn left any car would be waiting the same and any car that wants to go straight or right will pass on the right just like they do to cars turning left

Comment

Current laws are in place, but safety is above the law. Realize that getting hit is game over for a cyclist.
                            I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

20K? You really live a fair distance from your job, I see. I used to run ~5K to get to work (wash myself off in the bathroom and put on some deodorant and I think i was good to go until the summer then I would've been a sweaty mess with sweaty clothes). Found it interesting that it's faster to run from my local bus-stop to downtown than it is to take the bus that goes straight there.

Comment

I have 5km to work, I mostly bike it and sometimes jog it. Uppsala has tons of bikes, and bike lanes.

Even at the worst times/places, this city of ~180k has almost no congestion. Girls (and guys) are slimmer and fitter and better looking. Getting to the store to shop is easy and friendly. It is nice to get fresh air every day.

I love it.

JM
                                Jon Miller-
                                I AM.CANADIAN
                                GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Working...
                                X