$1.2 Billion for bike paths...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DanS View Post
    Biking on the sidewalk is illegal. Dangerous to peds.
    Yes it is. Bicyclists piss me off. They've become some of the rudest segment of society.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Wow. you're right, DanS. It is ILLEGAL to bike on sidewalks above the age of 12. Amazing.
      "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
      "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

That's why you have some dividers in addition to the lines for bike lanes. But even simple dividers cost a lot of money and introduce complications that take some thought in designing around.

Mostly, I think that in cities on major arteries (low speeds), bikes should get their own lanes that are blocked off from other traffic, just as cars and peds get their own blocked off lanes. It's a sign of modern planning and construction, like sidewalks that are disabled-friendly.
        Last edited by DanS; June 17, 2010, 01:22.
        I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

DanS:

But as far as I can tell, that hasn't been the case. Usually, a paint job is the extent of the bike lane. Is this why Obama wants to spend so much more money than in the past? For actual physical improvements?
          "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

You're just ****ing around now, aren't you Speer?
            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
            Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Who knows? The paint job is a pretty half-assed way of integrating bikes into the traffic flow, but to be fair, bike lanes are pretty new in the US. And I have seen the paint job-only lanes used surprisingly heavily on my street. But I don't live in the 'hood.

Bike paths tend to take more money for infrastructure, but are used by city planners pretty sparingly. Rail beds are good for bike paths. You need fewer bike paths -- you can move a whole lot of cyclists on a bike path. As a cyclist, bike paths are awesome.
              I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand View Post
                Yes it is. Bicyclists piss me off. They've become some of the rudest segment of society.
                It's just poor planning and construction that makes this so. Cyclists exist, so you better make it safe, easy, and pleasant for them to get around without annoying people.

Comment

As a cyclist, bike paths are awesome.
                  QFT -- Calgary has an "ok' system overall . From my home to work is about 20km and its pretty good--The first 3 km are residential and then one big roadway to cross vbut after that its nice bike trails on either side of a river. Any road that crosses the river needs a bridge anyway so its pretty easy to put a walking trail/ bike path passing under the bridge. Only the last km or so in the downtown core seems at all dangerous but I have a route that is used by so very many cyclists that things are reasonably ok
                  You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand View Post
                    Some walkers are rude, some bikers are rude, some drivers are rude. Get over it
                    You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

It's just poor planning and construction that makes this so. Cyclists exist, so you better make it safe, easy, and pleasant for them to get around without annoying people.
                      DanS, have people ever told you how annoying your constant level-headed rationality is?
                      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse View Post
                        I don't own a bike. Justify my family's expenditure of 140$ per annum.

If ONLY that were the largest expenditure for which you perceived no value.

But its called a transportation system. You complain about bike paths, the cyclist may not want to pay for sidewalks or roads-- After all he doesn't use THEM

IN Calgary almost all the bike paths are also used by walkers, runners, rollerbladers too

Comment

Originally posted by Prince Asher View Post
                          DanS, have people ever told you how annoying your constant level-headed rationality is?
                          Sheeesah-- some people being rational-- how crazy is that??

Comment

Originally posted by Flubber View Post
                            Sheeesah-- some people being rational-- how crazy is that??
                            Don't you start too. I've had it with this ****.

If we wanted sanity, we wouldn't be looking for people's opinions online.

Comment

I don't ride a bike... in fact, I don't even know how to ride a bike! I walk, run, and use public transit everywhere I need to go. But is it really that dangerous to use a street? If you're perceptive and cycling against oncoming traffic, I don't imagine you'd have any problems. I often run in the street in fact, because pavement is softer than the concrete used for sidewalks.

Comment

Originally posted by Prince Asher View Post
                                I know. I'm ruining a thread that had a few nicely constructed cross-trolls. But believe it or not, I'm such a dull individual that this topic is interesting to me.

Comment

Working...
                                X