No announcement yet.

$1.2 Billion for bike paths...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leaves peasants with leisure and means to get to work, and not expropriate more of your wealth.
    "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
    -Bokonon

Comment

My new job forces me to drive >50 mi/day.

The government gives me a big fat subsidy by spending a ton of money on US-59. It seems equitable that bikers get theirs.
      "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
      -Bokonon

Comment

why can't they ride in the street or the sidewalk? Why do you need special bike lanes? In Philly, all it takes on some roads is just the road having a painted lane put down.
        "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
        "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

I don't drive either, so "relieving congestion" doesn't work.
          12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
          Stadtluft Macht Frei
          Killing it is the new killing it
          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I don't know that bike lanes or bike paths make sense @ $1.2 billion, but they seem to be heavily used in Washington now that they are pretty common. There are surprisingly many bike commuters nowadays. Something of a trend or a fad, depending on how you might like to portray it.
            I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by Albert Speer View Post
              why can't they ride in the street or the sidewalk? Why do you need special bike lanes? In Philly, all it takes on some roads is just the road having a painted lane put down.
              Intermixing bikes and cars is a disaster.

Bike lanes are great, IF they are used. Toronto's making major ****ing roads bike lanes and few use them.
              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
              Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Prince Asher View Post
                Intermixing bikes and cars is a disaster.

Bike lanes are great, IF they are used. Toronto's making major ****ing roads bike lanes and few use them.
                How is it a disaster? What are these bike lanes you all are talking about? Just painted demarcations, right? How much can they cost to paint?

Philly bike lanes:

Yes, that's the lane...
                "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

How is it a disaster? What are these bike lanes you all are talking about? Just painted demarcations, right? How much can they cost to paint?

Philly bike lanes:

Yes, that's the lane...
                  Those cars should be ticketed.

I'm no fan of cyclists (****ing dicks), but I'd rather they have their own lane than drive on the road. Cyclists don't obey the rules of the road, and if you bump them you're both in a world of hurt (you financially, them physically).
                  "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Again, Asher, but how much can the painted demarcations cost? And you don't need it on EVERY road (one, because there are sidewalks after all where people can ride their bikes especially since all the corners have depressions) just every few roads (like a bike lane on 12th street, then you can skip a couple before putting a bike lane on let's say 9th street, etc.)

(I love how that picture is so Philly )

Comment

Again, Asher, but how much can the painted demarcations cost?
                      The roads usually need to be made wider, medians altered, curbs moved, signage changed, etc. It adds up, especially nationally...

And you don't need it on EVERY road (one, because there are sidewalks after all where people can ride their bikes especially since all the corners have depressions) just every few roads (like a bike lane on 12th street, then you can skip a couple before putting a bike lane on let's say 9th street, etc.)
                      $1.2B won't put them on every road...

Comment

What curbs need to be moved?

I've never seen major construction to open up a bike lane. Looks like all they did was put paint down and make a sign.

Comment

I've seen it plenty when they make the bike lanes 'round here.

Comment

In Canada maybe... in Philly, they just paint them. Besides, I still don't understand why they can't bike on the sidewalk if they're worried about traffic?

Comment

Biking on the sidewalk is illegal. Dangerous to peds.
                              I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

And if you google image search bike lanes... its hilarious how many bike lanes get used by cars for parking or driving! There's a whole website devoted to pictures of UPS trucks in bike lanes.

Comment

Working...
                                X