Soccer really sucks, doesn't it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soccer really sucks, doesn't it?

So I was in the barbershop and it was crowded so I was watching the world cup... I have a few things to say...

1) Talk about stop-motion! People criticize American football but the Uruguay/France match had stoppage after stoppage. The ball went out of bounds every 15 seconds or so. Not to mention all the fouls...

2) Ties? Really? Both games? Uruguay/France tying up at zero?! Who sets up a tournament where you give incentive to play for ties. To quote Herm Edwards, "You play to win the game"

3) Falling down. How many times are you going to fall down? It was like banana peels all over the field in Capetown.

4) Uruguay had only 10 players for a while and France still couldn't score!

5) The Uruguay/France game just wouldn't end. It went on literally forever.
    "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

0/10
    Pool Manager - Lombardi Handicappers League - An NFL Pick 'Em Pool

https://youtu.be/HLNhPMQnWu4

Comment

Flopping is a problem in soccer.
      "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
      'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

I think I will watch the USA vs England game tomorrow.
        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Is there anything at all false about what I said?
          "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

No, it really sucks.
            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
            "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
            He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by Albert Speer View Post
              Is there anything at all false about what I said?
              1) Clock still runs. How many times did the game stop for a light beer commercial?

2) NFL has ties, you know.

3) More like ice.

4) And not all hockey power play advantages score either, what's your point?

5) Really? I'm pretty sure I saw it end.
              Pool Manager - Lombardi Handicappers League - An NFL Pick 'Em Pool

https://youtu.be/HLNhPMQnWu4

Comment

Enjoy the Italian soccer then! :-D We have players that fall to the ground screaming in pain just if you look at them funny. Soccer in Italy is more similar to a theather-play, nowadays. :-D
                The destination doesn't matter. What's important is the journey.

Comment

NFL ties are very rare... It was a big deal a few years ago when Cincinnati and Philly tied (and McNabb wasn't aware the game could even end in a tie).

Soccer ties seem very common. and it's not even the fact that a tie happens. That's fine. It's the fact that teams play FOR ties that gets me.

Comment

Very few of the NFL players wear ties on the field. Maybe some punters.
                    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand View Post
                      Very few of the NFL players wear ties on the field. Maybe some panties.
                      Libraries are state sanctioned, so they're technically engaged in privateering. - Felch
                      I thought we're trying to have a serious discussion? It says serious in the thread title!- Al. B. Sure

Comment

I'd rather an exciting scoreless draw than a 9-0 mismatch. But I agree that Uruguay - France might not have been the best showpiece for soccer, because France was too dominant and still inefficient. Watch USA - England tomorrow, it will be different, I promise.

Playing for draws is not really normal, but in the final minutes it might be tactically correct where losing a point isn't worth risking. In the world cup teams are guaranteed only 3 group matches so losing any points can be devastating. In the knockout round things are different.

Players tend to fall down because their legs tend to get knocked out from beneath them at high speeds. It's an easier thing to 'get' if you've played. Challenges in soccer are usually aimed low, at the feet and legs, which tends to throw you off balance however light. Something to keep in mind before yelling "dive" at any opportunity.

Comment

Originally posted by MRT144 View Post
                          Flopping is a problem in soccer.
                          Soccer is just too gay for me.
                          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                          Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin View Post
                            I think I will watch the USA vs England game tomorrow.
                            What kind of hipster is up at 9:30am on a Saturday?

Or for you it's...6:30am?
                            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                            Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Umm... It's on at 2:00 pm EST.

Comment

Working...
                              X