Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So, Canada is basically like a crap Australia?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your quote doesn't even prove that Canada is not the biggest single destination for British expatriates.

We all already know that it isn't.
    KH FOR OWNER!
    ASHER FOR CEO!!
    GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Prince Asher View Post
      No, it's not. If you are born a dual citizen (rather than someone who gains it later), you are only required to file tax return to the IRS if you have ever prior established residency there and earned income.

If you are a U.S. citizen or resident alien, the rules for filing income, estate, and gift tax returns and for paying estimated tax are generally the same whether you are in the United States or abroad.

Your income, filing status, and age generally determine whether you must file an income tax return. Generally, you must file a return for 2009 if your gross income from worldwide sources is at least the amount shown for your filing status in the following table.
      12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
      Stadtluft Macht Frei
      Killing it is the new killing it
      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• Originally posted by Drake Tungsten View Post
        Your quote doesn't even prove that Canada is not the biggest single destination for British expatriates.

We all already know that it isn't.
        Be that as it may, you need a better reference in order to demonstrate anything.
        Stadtluft Macht Frei
        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• Originally posted by KrazyHorse View Post
          http://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/...blink100047318

If you are a U.S. citizen or resident alien, the rules for filing income, estate, and gift tax returns and for paying estimated tax are generally the same whether you are in the United States or abroad.

Your income, filing status, and age generally determine whether you must file an income tax return. Generally, you must file a return for 2009 if your gross income from worldwide sources is at least the amount shown for your filing status in the following table.
          Note the term 'generally'

The rules for dual citizenship by birth are fairly new and were only created in the early 1980s
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
          Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

• Be that as it may, you need a better reference in order to demonstrate anything.

Average annual emigration outflow from the United Kingdom (1991-2008, in thousands)

To Australia - 47
            To the United States - 29
            To New Zealand - 15
            To Canada - 9
            To South Africa - 8

Source: UK Office for National Statistics, Long-Term International Migration (LTIM) tables: 2.02 LTIM Country of last or next Residence 1991-2008.xls
            KH FOR OWNER!
            ASHER FOR CEO!!
            GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• Asher:

I think, but am not certain, that you are completely wrong on this.
              Stadtluft Macht Frei
              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• To put that into perspective, Canada barely gets more British emigrants than the crime and disease ridden cesspool that is South Africa. You certainly are a desirable destination!
                KH FOR OWNER!
                ASHER FOR CEO!!
                GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• All you have proven is that we have higher standards.
                  "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                  "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

• If Canada is really full of morons like you, it's no wonder no one wants to move there.
                    KH FOR OWNER!
                    ASHER FOR CEO!!
                    GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by KrazyHorse View Post
                      Asher:

I think, but am not certain, that you are completely wrong on this.
                      This is what we've been told by my family accountant, who deals with this a lot (there's like 80-100k Americans in Calgary due to the oil business, their kids are mostly dual citizens). I've certainly had no problems with it so far.
                      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

No, it's not. If you are born a dual citizen (rather than someone who gains it later), you are only required to file tax return to the IRS if you have ever prior established residency there and earned income.

I also do not have a US Passport and have never earned any income as an American.

There are some different rules for dual citizens by birth. AFAIK I'm also not required to use a US passport when entering the US, while that's usually a requirement for dual citizens of the USA and another country also. At least no one's ever mentioned it when I've done it many, many times with a Canadian passport.

Are you actually a US citizen then?

Does the US government have any record of you or have they ever acknowledged you? Your father is a Yank thus you are entitled, but have you ever claimed it?
                        (\__/)
                        (='.'=)
                        (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

• Originally posted by Drake Tungsten View Post
                          To put that into perspective, Canada barely gets more British emigrants than the crime and disease ridden cesspool that is South Africa. You certainly are a desirable destination!
                          The thing is, the British are pussies and couldn't handle our weather here. This is a man's country. Brits are best served by countries like Australia which has a nanny state.

Comment

• MikeH will be happy.
                            You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

• Originally posted by notyoueither View Post
                              Are you actually a US citizen then?

Does the US government have any record of you or have they ever acknowledged you? Your father is a Yank thus you are entitled, but have you ever claimed it?
                              When I lived there for four years (well before an age where I paid income tax or could even work), they recognized me as an American citizen and only my mother needed a visa.

Other than that, I've not done anything with it. My old firm asked about the citizenship and when they found out, told me they didn't need to apply for an H1-B for me.

Comment

The thing is, the British are pussies and couldn't handle our weather here. This is a man's country. Brits are best served by countries like Australia which has a nanny state.
                                Send me a Canadian passport please...
                                You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Working...
                                X