Are there any children on Apolyton?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Albert Speer View Post
    What's wrong with Civ 3? It's not as good as CtP 2 but it's still a good game, especially for its time.
    Civ II was a far better game than civ3. If you doubt this, head over to the Civ II Scenario League forum and try out some of the scenarios there. Then head over to the Civ 3 forum and see if you can find any scenarios.

(shameless plug: Try out some of the "Dictator" series for TOT or any of Kobayashi's scenarios. They are all a lot more fun than Civ 3)

I had two major issues with Civ3:

1) Firaxis took the wrong lesson from SMAC. In SMAC, there was some very interesting and complicated game mechanics. The AI couldn't handle them, so instead of improving the AI, they dumbed the game down.

2) C3C had some major bugs on release. Some of them were addressed in patches, but not all of them. When Firaxis announced "sorry we're too busy working on Civ4 to work on bugs in Civ3" I made the decision not to buy the second expansion pack for any Firaxis game until it had been fully patched.

I do have to give kudos to Firaxis for Civ4. Not only is it a damn fine game, but they continued to patch BTS long after it's release. I bought it after 3.17 and was very pleasantly suprised when they patched up to 3.19. Because of that, I'll be more inclined to buy Civ5 (and it's expansions) as they are released.

I am however, a little perturbed by the rumours going around that say that Civ5 will only be available via Steam. If that is the case, then I won't be buying it.
    Libraries are state sanctioned, so they're technically engaged in privateering. - Felch
    I thought we're trying to have a serious discussion? It says serious in the thread title!- Al. B. Sure

Comment

Hadn't heard of Steam before buying Civ4. I only got Steam after deciding I would get a legitimate copy of Half-Life 2. I played ill-gotten version of the game and was really impressed, so they got money from me. And then got more when I bought the episodes. And more still when Episode 3 and Portal 2 come out. And Civ5.
      The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

Pretty sure the Civ5 rumour mill is dumb.

I think Civ5 will require Steam for multiplayer (it uses Steamworks for matchmaking/friends lists/messaging/achievements/etc). But that doesn't mean it's only available on Steam. Games like Call of Duty: MW2 require Steam for multiplayer as they use Steamworks also, but you could buy it retail or via other download sites.
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Wouldn't it be bad business to be sold exclusively through Steam? What would the benefits be that would warrant this at the loss of potential customers and less product reach?
          "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
          "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Originally posted by DRoseDARs View Post
            Hadn't heard of Steam before buying Civ4. I only got Steam after deciding I would get a legitimate copy of Half-Life 2. I played ill-gotten version of the game and was really impressed, so they got money from me. And then got more when I bought the episodes. And more still when Episode 3 and Portal 2 come out. And Civ5.

I have no problem giving Firaxis some of my hard earned money, but I want a CD/DVD with the game on it in exchange.
            Libraries are state sanctioned, so they're technically engaged in privateering. - Felch
            I thought we're trying to have a serious discussion? It says serious in the thread title!- Al. B. Sure

Comment

I never understood how yall got internet access at the nursing home
              i wonder about the same question

Comment

Originally posted by Thoth View Post
                I have no problem giving Firaxis some of my hard earned money, but I want a CD/DVD with the game on it in exchange.
                The CD/DVD medium is obsolete. I'm not seeing the benefits of it compared to downloadable access.
                "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Originally posted by teresa412009 View Post
                  i wonder about the same question

Of all things for the spammer to latch onto.

Comment

The CD/DVD medium is obsolete. I'm not seeing the benefits of it compared to downloadable access.
                    I'm old fashioned. I like a physical product in my hands when I pay money for something.

It might not be fashionable, but I'm the ****ing consumer dammit.

"the customer is always right" or did that get done away with in the new bloody millenium?

Comment

I have read, either here or at CFC from some official-type person, that the game will be available in disc form and that Steam is integrated into the game (including disc version).
                      Pool Manager - Lombardi Handicappers League - An NFL Pick 'Em Pool

https://youtu.be/HLNhPMQnWu4

Comment

Thoth:

The benefits of downloadable access greatly outweigh some old-fashioned nostalgic wanting to hold the product in your hands...

Comment

I've lost DVDs or have them go bad. I've lost CD keys before too.

Steam is awesome for me. Especially Steam Cloud (your saved games/settings are synced online). I switch between multiple PCs all the time, it lets me keep my games going on all of them...plus the integrated updating.
                          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                          Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Thoth:

The benefits of downloadable access greatly outweigh some old-fashioned nostalgic wanting to hold the product in your hands...
                            Bugger that for a lark. Bedammed if some internet soandso is going to get my bank info.

Gimme an old fashioned CD/DVD that I can buy in a store and I'll pay money. Otherwise............

I'll keep playing Civ 4. There are still FFH II civs I haven't tried out yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Prince Asher View Post
                              I've lost DVDs or have them go bad. I've lost CD keys before too.

Steam is awesome for me. Especially Steam Cloud (your saved games/settings are synced online). I switch between multiple PCs all the time, it lets me keep my games going on all of them...plus the integrated updating.
                              meh. This newfangled Steam stuff isn't for me.

DVDs Cds floppydisks cassette tape Punch Cards were good enough for Grandma. They're bloody well good enough for me.

Comment

Isn't that a Clarence Reid song?

Comment

Working...
                                X