No announcement yet.

My Love Life XVIII: Back for Vengeance!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ALLLLBBBBYYYYYY!!!!! I've missed you! I've often wondered where you went to. Ok so do they let you listen to rap music in the military?
    Welcome to earth, my name is Tia and I'll be your tour guide for this trip.
    Succulent and Bejeweled Mother Goddess, who is always moisturised yet never greasy, always patient yet never suffers fools~Starchild
    Dragons? Yup- big flying lizards with an attitude. ~ Laz
    You are forgiven because you are FABULOUS ~ Imran

Comment

*cough*.

"rap" and "music" should never be used in the same sentence. Ever.

Libraries are state sanctioned, so they're technically engaged in privateering. - Felch
      I thought we're trying to have a serious discussion? It says serious in the thread title!- Al. B. Sure

Comment

Totally agree! I'm not so sure Alby would though unless he's changed.
        Succulent and Bejeweled Mother Goddess, who is always moisturised yet never greasy, always patient yet never suffers fools~Starchild

Comment

Based on his comments in the music thread, I'd wager "not".
          Libraries are state sanctioned, so they're technically engaged in privateering. - Felch
          I thought we're trying to have a serious discussion? It says serious in the thread title!- Al. B. Sure

Comment

Are you serious?

Rap is just an artistic medium. You all do know that one can rap about anything and rappers do. Just so you are aware, not every rapper is of the NWA/2pac/Biggie/DMX mold of gangster rap. In fact, that sort of rap hasn't been anywhere near as popular as it used to be and it didn't even exist until the late 1980's when hip hop music was already over a decade old (even older if you consider Gil Scott-Heron and the Last Poets as rappers).

The best selling rap album of all time is apparently Outkast's Love Below/Speakerbox... you know, the album with "Hey Ya!" as its lead single.

Rap music has changed... Kanye West came out... Jay-Z is 40 now and is making music that represents that fact... etc.

I can not see how you can justify saying that when popular artists are making songs like this (Kanye West, Andre3000, Fonzworth Bentley- Everybody):

"Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
            "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Yup, Alby is back and still in form

Comment

Or how about this:

"I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Tia:

In all seriousness, you're smarter and more open minded than that. You know full well gangster rap is just a portion of the vast array of rap music and shouldn't be viewed as limited to that anymore than rock music should be viewed as limited to heavy metal goth music.

Comment

Speakerboxx was so popular because it WASN'T rap.

"Hey Ya" particularly is a pop song with a rap interlude. It's no more a rap song than "Semi-Charmed Life"
                    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

DUUUUUuuuuu Alby! I'm just glad your back so you can educate us on music We missed you around here.

Comment

Rap, circa 1965 :

Solomwi is very wise. - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

Working...
                        X