Does The End Justify The Means?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SlowwHand View Post
    It either is or it isn't. This is a black and white question.
    No it isn't. Depends on what the ends are and what the means are. If the means are murdering someone compared to simply theft, then the answer may be vastly different.
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

That's your opinion. As I stated, my opinion is you either have ethics and honor or you don't.
      It doesn't make either one of us right, I only ask the question.
      Your illustration doesn't really even make sense in this conversation. You would need to expand on it.
      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

So Sloww has finally lost his marbles.
        “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
        "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

At least I had marbles to lose.
          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

Originally posted by loinburger View Post
            No, it's about your saying that the ethics question you've asked is black and white. And yet, you say in this thread that it is absolutely not the case that the ends can ever justify the means, while in another thread you were willing to say that it is okay to cause the deaths of several million Iraqi civilians (leaving aside for the moment your revocation of the civilian status of an entire nation's population) in order to prevent the deaths of a much smaller number of Americans. In other words, you don't really believe that it's a black and white question - you're usually opposed to having the ends justify the means, but in the case of killing Iraqi civilians you believe that the ends justify the means.
            Bingo!
            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

That's your opinion. As I stated, my opinion is you either have ethics and honor or you don't.
              It doesn't make either one of us right, I only ask the question.
              Your illustration doesn't really even make sense in this conversation. You would need to expand on it.
              It's very easy. For example, say that someone you knew who was innocent was jailed by a repressive regime (China, if you want). And in order to free him before they executed him, all you had to do was steal a key. In that case the ends justified the means. However if in order to free him, you had to kill a bunch of people, then the ends are not justified by the means.

Therefore... I have no option in this poll.

Comment

No, your vote should be that the end doesn't justify the means. It's a black and white hypothesis. Any end, by any means. It's really not that hard to comprehend.
                Think of it as "whatever it takes", if that makes it easier to understand.

Comment

You are mentally deficient.

I just gave you an example where one means would have me say "the ends justify the means" and another where the means would have me say "the ends DO NOT justify the means". Seriously, WTF Slow?

Comment

No, you're an arrogant ass. I'm asking a question and giving you the parameters, and you argue with me.
                    It's my question. You're going to sit there and tell me that you'll define the question? Bull****.

Comment

Originally posted by Elok View Post
                      Virtue ethics never gets any love...
                      Virtue ethics are kind of silly.

Comment

No, not really. Without virtue ethics, what would lead to rules or consequences?

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
                          It's very easy. For example, say that someone you knew who was innocent was jailed by a repressive regime (China, if you want). And in order to free him before they executed him, all you had to do was steal a key. In that case the ends justified the means. However if in order to free him, you had to kill a bunch of people, then the ends are not justified by the means.

Therefore... I have no option in this poll.
                          There is a problem with your definition of Ends. In the case of the stolen key, it should also include things like the guard who had the key committing suicide (possibly), the guards at the jail being all killed, or nothing additionally happening.

The Ends is not just that a single guy is freed, they include all the results of a persons actions.

JM
                          Jon Miller-
                          I AM.CANADIAN
                          GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

No, your vote should be that the end doesn't justify the means. It's a black and white hypothesis. Any end, by any means. It's really not that hard to comprehend.
                            Think of it as "whatever it takes", if that makes it easier to understand.
                            That's a stupid definition because no one would consider that ethical. Now there's nothing to do except call you a retarded hypocrite.
                            Last edited by giblets; May 3, 2010, 08:31.

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker View Post
                              Virtue ethics are kind of silly.
                              There is no way they are any sillier than deontological ethics.
                              1011 1100
                              Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Originally posted by Elok View Post
                                For those of you who have BK on your ignore lists, I'm not going to quote him, but he has just said that philosophy is more important than mathematics, while history is more important than any of the hard sciences.
                                I'm glad everyone ignored his troll.

Comment

Working...
                                X