Does The End Justify The Means?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does The End Justify The Means?

For instance, a career criminal. If he's convicted for a crime that he didn't commit, is it all good since it's known he's done crime in the past?
    The end justifies the means.
    25.00%
    No, the end doesn't justify the means.
    75.00%
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Re: Does The End Justify The Means?

Yes.
    Originally posted by SlowwHand View Post
    For instance, a career criminal. If he's convicted for a crime that he didn't commit, is it all good since it's known he's done crime in the past?
    No.

Comment

also, invalid poll

Comment

The proper answer is, as it usually happens to be, 'it depends'.
        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

It either is or it isn't. This is a black and white question.

No, I don't do the gay banana option.

I vote No, the end doesn't justify the means. Ethics, honor and integrity tell me no. That's my belief.
          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

I would participate in this [serious] thread but it has an invalid poll.
            A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand View Post
              It either is or it isn't. This is a black and white question.
              I believe the ends justify the means universally*. I don't believe that the example you gave is justified. I do not believe these claims are contradictory.

*this maxim becomes extraordinarily complex when applied to social creatures.

Comment

No. Only for the crimes he has committed.

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker View Post
                  I believe the ends justify the means universally*. I don't believe that the example you gave is justified. I do not believe these claims are contradictory.

*this maxim becomes extraordinarily complex when applied to social creatures.
                  This. Limiting the ends in the example to punishing that one criminal is shortsighted, at best.
                  Solomwi is very wise. - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

nope

Comment

They do if you're Jeffrey Archer.
                      Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

I don't believe the ends justify the mean, but they can provide a rough estimate. For example, knowing that the low end is five and the high end is fifteen, you could just say the mean is around ten. It's better than nothing.

EDIT: On reflection, I'd say the ends are much better at justifying the median.
                        Last edited by Elok; May 2, 2010, 07:16.
                        1011 1100
                        Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

No, it will usually be closer to the mean. The median is robust to outliers (which the maximum and minimum data points are most likely to be) and the mean is not.

Comment

This isn't a ****ing math question, you geeks.

Comment

My brother-in-law participated in a jury that convicted a guy for rape. Some of the jurors thought that it was impossible to tell for sure whether he had committed the rape in question, but they voted for conviction because they thought that he was just the type of douchebag who would have done it.

Keep this in mind if you go in front of a jury. They think independently.
                              I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Working...
                              X