Arizona Senate Bill 1070

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arizona Senate Bill 1070

I've read over the bill twice now and fail to catch the part where Arizona is turning officers loose to conduct racial profiling. In very simple terms, from what I understand, it says that if a police officer stops you for any legal reason they have the right to verify that you are a legal resident of the United States.

Am I missing something?

20 B. FOR ANY LAWFUL CONTACT MADE BY A LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICIAL OR AGENCY
    21 OF THIS STATE OR A COUNTY, CITY, TOWN OR OTHER POLITICAL SUBDIVISION OF THIS
    22 STATE WHERE REASONABLE SUSPICION EXISTS THAT THE PERSON IS AN ALIEN WHO IS
    23 UNLAWFULLY PRESENT IN THE UNITED STATES, A REASONABLE ATTEMPT SHALL BE MADE,
    24 WHEN PRACTICABLE, TO DETERMINE THE IMMIGRATION STATUS OF THE PERSON. THE
    25 PERSON'S IMMIGRATION STATUS SHALL BE VERIFIED WITH THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT
    26 PURSUANT TO 8 UNITED STATES CODE SECTION 1373(c).

FOR ANY LAWFUL CONTACT MADE BY A LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICIAL OR AGENCY OF THIS STATE OR A COUNTY, CITY, TOWN OR OTHER POLITICAL SUBDIVISION OF THIS STATE WHERE REASONABLE SUSPICION EXISTS THAT THE PERSON IS AN ALIEN WHO IS UNLAWFULLY PRESENT IN THE UNITED STATES, A REASONABLE ATTEMPT SHALL BE MADE, WHEN PRACTICABLE, TO DETERMINE THE IMMIGRATION STATUS OF THE PERSON.

What don't you get?
    "Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." -- Frédéric Bastiat
    (+7.00, -6.97)

Comment

The definition of 'reasonable'
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Perhaps they need to do a better job of defining "REASONABLE SUSPICION". In my mind reasonable suspicion isn't just a thick accent or tanned skin.

If an officer stops someone for what ever legal reason an officer may have for stopping someone, and that person acts in a manner congruent with someone trying to hide their identity that would, in my mind, provide reasonable suspicion. It shouldn't matter how the person sounds or looks, they could be illegal Canadians.

Comment

Originally posted by Space05us View Post
          Perhaps they need to do a better job of defining "REASONABLE SUSPICION". In my mind reasonable suspicion isn't just a thick accent or tanned skin.

If an officer stops someone for what ever legal reason an officer may have for stopping someone, and that person acts in a manner congruent with someone trying to hide their identity that would, in my mind, provide reasonable suspicion. It shouldn't matter how the person sounds or looks, they could be illegal Canadians.
          HA! Welcome to America!
          "Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." -- Frédéric Bastiat
          (+7.00, -6.97)

Comment

Correction: welcome to arizona

NoVA has an illegal immigrant problem, but we don't border mexico so we don't get flimsy excuses.

Honestly the problem is quotas. Get rid of them, let people come here legally, then everyone who crosses the border illegally is gonna be a crook.
            If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
            ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
              NoVA has an illegal immigrant problem, but we don't border mexico so we don't get flimsy excuses.

Honestly the problem is quotas. Get rid of them, let people come here legally, then everyone who crosses the border illegally is gonna be a crook.
              But ya don't see McDonnell cracking down on it. Oh well.

2nd part qft. I wonder how long before someone realizes this and does something about it. Not just enforce the status quo, but realize that the problem cannot solve itself. Whatever happened to immigration being good for America? (¿Qué pasó con la inmigración siendo bueno para Estados Unidos? )
              (+7.00, -6.97)

Comment

On purley economical grounds immigration is always good regardless of the quality of the people, that is if you don't have anything like social security...

Also all else being equal homogenus societies are succesfull societies due to higher trust. The US did well with mostly white immigrants because it could assimilate them (the country was 90% White in the 1950's and note almost all of the remaining 10% where Black).
                Last edited by Heraclitus; April 26, 2010, 14:01.
                Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
                The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
                The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

I don't understand how this law could turn out to be anything other than racial profiling.

Comment

Reasonable suspicion:

1. Does not speak english fluently.
                    2. Automobile has 4x the recommended passengers.
                    3. Short.
                    4. Dirty.
                    Everybody knows...Democracy...One of Us Cannot be Wrong...War...Fanatics

Comment

THAT IS PROFILING

Comment

Not racial, though. I didn't say brown.

Anyway, that's not the catching point, as language is obviously sufficient to establish that such a reasonable suspicion, regardless of looks, exists. The problem is this part:

lawful contact

That's what people think will not be observed. They see people being pulled-over because they look foreign. I find that to be a tenuous position at best.

Reasonable suspicion has existed via search and seizure for a long time, let's not pretend that suddenly it will break down. Cops that abused 'reasonable' before will continue to do so; it's not as if a previously legit cop is suddenly going to start pulling over brown people and inventing reason because of this law.
                        Last edited by Ecofarm; April 25, 2010, 15:31.
                        Everybody knows...Democracy...One of Us Cannot be Wrong...War...Fanatics

Comment

Originally posted by Ecofarm View Post
                          Reasonable suspicion:

1. Does not speak english fluently.
                          But that means most americans are suspects
                          With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

That was a pathetic troll blackcat.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackCat View Post
                              But that means most americans are suspects
                              no, just most of the people who supported the bill

Comment

Working...
                              X