Goldman Sachs charged with fraud on subprime mortgages

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Goldman Sachs charged with fraud on subprime mortgages

This is pretty interesting. It's a civil charge, so not quite as serious as, say, Arthur Andersen's fraud charges that led to the firm going out of business. But, if proven true or generally accepted as true, this would stain Goldman's reputation substantially.

SAN FRANCISCO (MarketWatch) -- The Securities and Exchange Commission on Friday charged Goldman Sachs & Co. and one of its vice presidents for defrauding investors by misstating and omitting key facts about a financial product related to subprime mortgages. The SEC alleges that Goldman Sachs structured and marketed a collateralized debt obligation that hinged on the performance of subprime residential mortgage-backed securities. However, it failed to disclose the role that a major hedge fund, Paulson & Co., played in the portfolio selection process as well as the fact that the hedge fund had taken a short position against the CDO. "Goldman wrongly permitted a client that was betting against the mortgage market to heavily influence which mortgage securities to include in an investment portfolio, while telling other investors that the securities were selected by an independent, objective third party," said Robert Khuzami, director of the division of enforcement, in a statement.
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Can't wait for the English KH puts on this.
    "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
    'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

If you think I'm dumb enough to comment then you need your head checked.
      12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
      Stadtluft Macht Frei
      Killing it is the new killing it
      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse View Post
        Sometimes your eagerness to be argumentative gets in the way of your sense.
        'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

I have no recollection of any such an occasion
          Stadtluft Macht Frei
          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

self_biased can have that affect on memory.
            Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
            Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
            We've got both kinds

Comment

And the stock market proceeds to tank...
              I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by DanS View Post
                But, if proven true or generally accepted as true, this would stain Goldman's reputation substantially.

Isn't their reputation already one big stain?
                "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Evil planet raping bastards staffed by total douches, is what I heard.
                  Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                  We've got both kinds

Comment

Basically, modern banking is immoral. I wonder if this will draw him out of hiding...
                    We've got both kinds

Comment

I have no recollection of any such an occasion
                      It's happened.

Comment

Mike

Stadtluft Macht Frei
                        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by MRT144 View Post
                          It's happened.
                          Feel free to provide an example
                          Stadtluft Macht Frei
                          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Feel free to provide an example
                            Even if I provide an example you'd be argumentative about the example provided, thus proving my point.

Comment

Originally posted by Wezil View Post
                              Isn't their reputation already one big stain?
                              Not that I am aware. No particularly cringe-worthy behavior has yet been described in detail. And a court case tends to highlight cringe-worthy behavior in a clear manner, as The Smoking Gun proves every day.

Comment

Working...
                              X