[serious] Charity thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ecofarm View Post
    DDT remains now and always has been used to fight malaria in the third-world. We just stopped using it for crops. Idiot.
    By and large, that's not the way these things work, Ecofarm. Most third world countries follow the pesticide regulations set down by first world countries, because our regulatory schemes are much more sophisticated than they could contrive themselves.

I wouldn't have expected you to know this, what with your agricultural ecology background.
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

• Most third world countries follow the pesticide regulations set down by first world countries

Idiot.
      Everybody knows...Democracy...One of Us Cannot be Wrong...War...Fanatics

Comment

• Nah, I'm wicked smaht. You just don't know your betters.

Read up on gold seal letters, which certify that a pesticide product is registered for use in the US. For much of the third world, this letter will allow import and use in their country. If you don't have a US registration, then of course you cannot obtain a gold seal letter.
        I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

• Originally posted by KrazyHorse View Post
          Another fuzzy-headed response. The fact is that local food, like the anti plastic bag movement, is just a fad, appealing to those of limited rationality. The attempt to dress it up as an intellectually consistent idea ends up at the point at which you admit that you just don't know what is more efficient to eat. Neither do I, and without market discipline, neither does anybody else.
          It should be fairly obvious and intuitive that food miles play a significant part in the nocive emissions when you're talking about fresh produce instead of dairy and meat.

The numbers are there to show that above a few hundred miles, better efficiency at the farm gets trumped by transportation.
          In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

Working...
          X