Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Asher, how do I save a selection of excel sheet as a picture?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asher, how do I save a selection of excel sheet as a picture?

Grr...this is 2010 and Intel has approached Feynman-like limits of transistors on silicon and the damn MS programs still are hard to use to get anything done.

I want to save a selection of a spreadsheet as a picture FILE (either bmp or jpg, no matter). Then I want to upload that to the NS site as a picture.

I can rightclick copy the selection, then Paste Special into Word as a bmp or jpg object. But I can not for the life of me figure out how to get the selection saved as a file on its own. If I go into the Word doc, it won't let me right click and save the picture as a file (but webpages let me). And I don't want to do a prntscrn and crop edges or crop the edges of the Word page or something. I just want a file of the picture.

why is this so hard....

And I don't want to do a prntscrn and crop edges or crop the edges of the Word page or something.
    Why not?
    Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
    Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
    We've got both kinds

Comment

You need to take a screenshot. Are you on Vista or 7? There's a Screen Clipper Tool you'll find in the start menu to take regional screenshots.

If you have OneNote installed, press Windows-S and select a region of the screen.

If all of these fail, hit PrintScreen on your keyboard, open MS paint, hit paste. Use the selection tool to select the part you want, select Edit->Copy, then paste it into a New paint document and save.
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

I should not have to crop a screenshot. I only want the selection. Why is this so hard? Why can I rightclick webpages and save the pcitures as files, but not do so with pcitures from Word docs?

Comment

It's not hard it's easy.
          Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
          Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
          We've got both kinds

Comment

Originally posted by TCO View Post
            I should not have to crop a screenshot. I only want the selection. Why is this so hard? Why can I rightclick webpages and save the pcitures as files, but not do so with pcitures from Word docs?
            You can save PICTURES from Word docs with ease. If you want to render a SHOT of your SCREEN (which is displaying a spreadsheet, not a picture), then you need a SCREENSHOT.

It's highly unusual to take pictures of spreadsheets...
            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Originally posted by MikeH View Post
              Why not?
              Because I don't want the ragged edges. How come I can copy and paste special as bmp or jpg object into Word, but I can't get the same bits saved as a FILE?

Comment

If you have the full Office installed (with OneNote), all you need to do is hit Windows-S, click and drag the rectangle around the spreadsheet, and then right click->save as, and save it on your computer.

Comment

It's not unusual. People copy from Excel all the time and put as pictures into Word or PPT as images. There are advantages (fixedness). and the mechanism exists to do it. So how come I can't get the same "thingie" that I'm copy-pasting saved as as file. In this case, I want to have a picture file, that then I can upload onto the NS site as a picture.

and I don't want a screenshoot. I just want a pciture file of the thingie. Not the rest of the screen.

Cripes, I swear I've done this before somehow.

Comment

Originally posted by Asher View Post
                    If you have the full Office installed (with OneNote), all you need to do is hit Windows-S, click and drag the rectangle around the spreadsheet, and then right click->save as, and save it on your computer.
                    It didn't do anything. I have 2003. Does it work there? Cripes. We've had armies of people working on computers and they still don't work well. I can't beleive how long it took them to put the on/off switch for the monitor at the front.

Comment

I sometimes go copy in Excel -> paste in Powerpoint -> Saved to Picture File (eg. MyPictures) (just click and drag to file or desktop) -> PictureManager to save as jpg/etc.

I know there are better ways, but I can't remember exactly either.

I'm pretty sure the current excel tables for my proposal are via excel -> powerpoint -> save -> word.
                      Everybody knows...Democracy...One of Us Cannot be Wrong...War...Fanatics

Comment

let me try the powerpoint route

Comment

Well...the PPT route seemed to work a little better. I pasted the selection into a ppt slide as a jpeg. Then I could right click on that and do save as picture (and why can I do that from ppt, but not word? I mean it is all office...shouldn't that be the advantage of having this stuff in the same company...what the heck are all those buildings of people at Redmond doing? hikacking my google taskbar with bing? sending out updates that throw me for a loop by changing how my puter works? It is 2010!)

In the save as picture, it had a bunch of weirf formats (no jpg or bmp). I picked the most likely JPEG Interactive File (whatever that is) and saved as that. Ok. I go and look at it. It is a black rectange! GRRRRR

Comment

From powerpoint, drag the pict to a file or desktop. Don't save the Powerpoint file as something.

When the picture is in naked format on dsktop or in MyPictures, then open it with microsoft picture manager and try a save as .png -> jpg or jpg directly.

Attached is from excel, I can paste it into documents no problem. Obviously it is not in publishing form, but the point is it came from excel.
                            Last edited by Ecofarm; March 25, 2010, 14:24.
                            Everybody knows...Democracy...One of Us Cannot be Wrong...War...Fanatics

Comment

Dip your balls in a bowl of mayo and then attempt to repaint the picture using your pecker.
                              Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Working...
                              X