Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Britons sentenced to 1 month in jail for kissing on cheek.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Britons sentenced to 1 month in jail for kissing on cheek.

And this is the "most liberal" country in the Arab world?

Britons sentenced to a month in prison for kissing in Dubai restaurant
    Two Britons have been sentenced to a month's imprisonment for indecency after a local woman took objection to them kissing in a restaurant.

Ayman Najafi, 24, a marketing consultant who lives in Dubai, and Charlotte Adams, 25, an estate agent from North London, were said to have been touching each other and kissing passionately as they dined with friends in a beachfront restaurant.

They were arrested and sentenced to a month in prison after which they were told they would be deported.

But the pair told a hearing at the Dubai Appeal Court on Sunday that they were the victims of a "huge misunderstanding" and had simply exchanged a friendly greeting.

"We kissed each other on the cheek as a greeting, nothing more,” Mr Najafi told Judge Aysar Fouad. Miss Adams pointed at her cheek to show where contact had taken place.

The two are not the first Britons to fall foul of the strict laws in the conservative Muslim state. Last year Michelle Palmer, 36, and Vince Acors, 34, were sentenced to three months imprisonment for having sex on a beach.

The latest incident took place when Miss Adams and Mr Najafi met along with four other friends for dinner at Bob's Easy Diner on the beachfront at the Jumeirah Beach Residence complex on November 27.

The police were called at around 2am by an Emirati woman sitting at a nearby table with her children and claimed her daughter had been upset by the display of affection.

"My daughter told me that the accused were kissing on the mouth,” she said.

“Then I spotted them doing so myself. I also saw them touching each other, as they were seated two to three metres away from our table. A number of customers witnessed the scene as well.”

After being arrested, the two were tested for alcohol and shown to have been drinking, though the readings of 22mg/dl are less than the drink-drive limit in Britain.

At the appeal hearing on Sunday, their defence lawyer Khalaf al Hosany said the couple admitted kissing each other on the cheek but denied any intention to break the law.

“It’s part of their culture to kiss on cheeks as a greeting,” he told the judge.

But their pleas of not guilty to indecency were rejected and they were sentenced to a month in prison followed by deportation.

They were also fined 1000 dirham (180 pounds) for being in a public place after consuming alcohol – an offence in Dubai, though drinking alcohol itself is not.

Mr Najafi has lived in Dubai for 18 months, where he works as a consultant for the Hay Group, a marketing firm.

Miss Adams, 25, was visiting the country and staying with another friend.

Her flatmate Jade Christa Williams, acting as a spokesman for Miss Adams, said what had happened was simply "a huge misunderstanding".

"She is completely innocent and is looking forward to coming home soon to carry on with her life and put this behind her," she said.

The pair were released on bail and are awaiting an April 4 verdict.

But in the Arab world it is ok if two guys kiss on the cheek? Gayest culture in the world.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

You do realize that kissing on the cheek is legal there, right? Your title and comment are a clever mockery of people completely mangling an article, right?
    Everybody knows...Democracy...One of Us Cannot be Wrong...War...Fanatics

Comment

Not according to the Telegraph. They got one month in jail.

Comment

It should still be bombed. Prolly lots of terrorist wanna-bes there. And just cuz.
        I'm consitently stupid- Japher
        I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

I dunno about it being the most liberal. I bet you'd be ok in Egypt or Lebanon or Jordan or something.

Not that I'm an expert on the subject. But that's my hunch.
          Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Only correct answer:

U235 + n -> Ba141 + Kr92 + 3n
            "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

Since when is kissing cheeks part of the British culture. Are they becoming French?
              Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

Comment

I don't like authoritarian laws (social or economic) anymore than the next guy, but C'MON...

They were sentenced for kissing ON THE LIPS and touching. Believe their claim that it was only on the cheek if you want, but let's not mangle the situation beyond its twisted reality.

Comment

The only evidence that they kissed on the lips is hearsay. A lady said that her daughter said, etc... No real court would admit hearsay as evidence.

Comment

1. Whenever traveling -- their country, their laws, their cops, their courts, your risk.

2. The denial is equally hearsay, and there appear to be multiple witnesses supporting the lips/touching thing.

3. Innocent until proven gulty is not an international standard.
                    Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                    RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Yes, not quite hearsay
                      “Then I spotted them doing so myself. I also saw them touching each other, as they were seated two to three metres away from our table.
                      It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by -Jrabbit View Post
                        1. Whenever traveling -- their country, their laws, their cops, their courts, your risk.

2. The denial is equally hearsay, and there appear to be multiple witnesses supporting the lips/touching thing.

3. Innocent until proven gulty is not an international standard.
                        A bunch of white people saw that negro rape that man's wife. Get the rope!
                        "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                        'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Now witnesses are irrelevant?

There are apparently several, and they all lied at the same time about the same thing to get some guy in trouble who they do not know. That's called conspiracy theory.

Give me break, people. First, Oerdin claims they were SENTENCED for kissing on the cheek. Second, he claims the only evidence is hearsay. How much more ridiculous BS (which is contradicted in his OP article) can he come up with? Obviously, he is doing this on purpose... noone is that stupid.

Comment

A bunch of white people saw that negro rape that man's wife. Get the rope!
                            Obviously, it's the negro's fault for kissing her on the lips.
                            Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                            RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Originally posted by -Jrabbit View Post
                              Obviously, it's the negro's fault for kissing her on the lips.
                              I'm just saying, eyewitness testimony from antagonists agents shouldn't mean that much in the eyes of justice.
                              "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                              'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Working...
                              X