Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chinese government wants to compete with Boeing & Airbus.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chinese government wants to compete with Boeing & Airbus.

A Chinese government owned company wants to break into the commercial airliner business and promises to undercut prices of western airliners produced by Boeing and Airbus. This promises to be the biggest shake up of the aircraft business since Boeing bought MacDonald Douglas in the mid 90's.

Chinese planes challenge Boeing and Airbus

By Juliana Liu
    Asia Business Report, BBC World, Singapore air show

The biggest potential threat to the dominance of Western aircraft makers has been unveiled at the Singapore Air Show.

China's answer to Boeing and Airbus is showing a slender, blue-and-white model of the Comac C919 aircraft for the first time outside the mainland. Its introduction was low-key, a move consistent with how Chinese firms prefer to operate overseas.

The aircraft, designed and built entirely in China, will compete directly against industry stalwarts A320 and Boeing 737 after completing flight trials in four years. It should be available commercially by 2016.

"That's our plan," an official from the Commercial Aircraft Corporation of China, or Comac, tells BBC News.

"But it will be tough to stick to it. These days, delivery dates are often pushed back."

Next year delivery

The C919 is part of China's stated goal of developing a homegrown aerospace industry, which may someday challenge Airbus and Boeing's hold on the global market for commercial aviation.

“ [Chinese aircraft makers] will add a whole new level of economic activity to our industry ”
    Mark Howes, president of Honeywell Aerospace Asia Pacific

Comac is likely to build more than 2,000 C919s in the next two decades, with a view to grab a 10% share of the global market for narrow body aircraft.

It has been a meteoric rise for Comac, established just a year and a half ago.

Headquartered in Shanghai, the company is fully backed by the central government, as well as by the local government and a number of state-owned firms such as Chinalco and Baosteel.

Comac has already sold more than 240 of its ARJ-21 twin-engine regional jets to Chinese airlines, as well as to a Laotian carrier and to a unit of General Electric. The plane is scheduled for delivery to customers next year.

Biggest market

Experts believe it will take China 10 to 20 years to establish itself in commercial aviation.

That prospect has attracted scores of Western suppliers such as Rockwell Collins, General Electric and Honeywell.

"There is a great deal of excitement in the region," Mark Howes, president of Honeywell Aerospace Asia Pacific, tells the BBC in an interview at the air show. "We're all negotiating and pursuing these deals."

Honeywell is hoping to sell its mechanical and electronic systems for inclusion in the C919.

The US manufacturer has already clinched contracts for its flight controls and inertial navigation systems for use in the ARJ-21.

"They will add a whole new level of economic activity to our industry," Mr Howes adds.

Chinese customers

One day, China will be Honeywell's biggest market in Asia, Mr Howes says.
    BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Well, anyone expecting otherwise would be a fool.
    With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

I'm sure that China plans to compete by forbiding any other manufacturer from selling in China.
      “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
      "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Doubt it - why should they ?
        With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Yeah, it's so much easier just to manipulate their currency and create nontariff trade barriers. It's the Asian way.

Comment

True, that could be a way, but since they probably can build them cheaper due to labour costs, they don't have to.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Maybe they don't have to but they do anyway mostly because they're worried about competition from other low cost producers. The US and EU have been *****ing about China's currency manipulations and nontariff barriers for years. Not that they've made any headway as the Chinese have made it clear they won't stop being protectionist unless someone really forces them.

Comment

That's why we should destroy international trade by creating import tariffs. **** globalization.

Comment

In the long run I actually think coordinated responses to trade abuses would be for the best. The reason is everyone ends up copying China and trying to competitively devalue their currency as well which leads to tremendous capital destruction. Having a block of countries which say no more and then take coordinated action against the worst offenders will have the effect of discouraging countries from doing such abuses albeit at the cost of short term harm to trade. It's the long run we should be more worried about.

I bet with in one year of a strong coordinated response China would stop ****ing with its currency and allow it to start floating at market rates.

Comment

The economics are an issue, but the real problem is the speed by wich they catch up technically without the labor costs.

The only real solution to that is to speed up income for chinese labour.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

I.E. raise the value of their artificially low currency so that Chinese currency is worth more. Exactly what I just said.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackCat View Post
                        Doubt it - why should they ?
                        That's what they do in other markets.
                        “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                        "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Problem is that with a home market with 1.2 bill people they can bootstrap their own economy - add to that all the third world countries of maybe 2 bill, and they can do whatever they want - they have way more potential than a protective US.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Originally posted by DaShi View Post
                            That's what they do in other markets.
                            Yep, when there are competition - don't think that it will be the case here - I mean, cheap US/EU planes .

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Who's gonna be 1st to volunteer to fly on a Chinese made airliner?
                              I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                              I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Working...
                              X