No announcement yet.

Apple's iPad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

At $500 the iPad certainly leaves the Kindle (and all other readers) for dead. E-ink is meaningless compared to the ability to surf, watch Youtube and do light productivity tasks.

The real problem is that there is nothing here that makes it worth paying the "Apple tax". The Iphone was so much better than any other phone that buying stuff from Itunes was worthwhile--- it wasn't much more expensive and it worked seamlessly on your Iphone.

But the iPad isn't going to be any better than the other $500 tablets people will be releasing this year. So why would you want to pay "full retail" for everything at Itunes when you can buy a Generic tablet and shop for movies, music and books at Amazon? Or at the band's own website?
    VANGUARD

Comment

Can't believe no one's posted this yet... from MADtv, 2006.

Of course, Apple had it pulled from YouTube about a 1/2-hour after the Jobs presentation yesterday...
      Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
      RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Originally posted by Nostromo View Post
        Read post #51. You can buy a battery online and install it yourself. There are how-to's on the web. But its somewhat tricky. The good news is that you can have it installed by someone who lives near you (or send it somewhere) That's what I did with my old iPod Mini. I don't remember how much it was exactly, only that it was a lot cheaper than sending it to Apple.

Here are the Apple prices:
        thank you
        A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

KH FOR OWNER!
          ASHER FOR CEO!!
          GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

strawmen with the only intention of humiliating others... really lame

Originally posted by Asher View Post
            I don't want to defend it, but it's clear you've no idea what the device is, VJ.
            NUH NUH NUH I FLAMEZ UUU LOLLZ!!!

It is not a computer, for starters.
            Which is not what I said at all, asshat.

The question I asked was why would anyone want to buy a stripped down laptop (which is essentially what tablet PCs are), when laptops (which have more features) with the same CPU power and storage capacity have already had lower prices than $500 for years. You're misrepresenting my position (a.k.a. a strawman argument) in order to get another flame war running. Well, flame yourself, serial troller.

Also, can I except your gay-stalking strawmen to follow me to every single ****ing thread from now on because I refused to take a public blowjob from you? Apparently, the answer is yes.

Comment

I don't want to defend it, but it's clear you've no idea what the device is, VJ.

It is not a computer, for starters.
              No, but, I'm someone who's currently thinking of getting some kind of device for mobile internet/browsing etc. etc. on the move. Now the iPad has a fancy interface and can do some stuff that a standard netbook can't. But I'd still get a netbook because the extra stuff the iPad has seems to me to be much less important than the things it can't do that the Netbook can.

There will be people who'll have an iPhone, iPad, netbook, macbook and all those other things, but if I'm getting one I want an all in one device. iPad doesn't have enough WIN (yet, the first iPhone wasn't of interest to me but the second generation one was much more appealing.)
              Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
              Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
              We've got both kinds

Comment

Originally posted by VJ View Post

The question I asked was why would anyone want to buy a stripped down laptop (which is essentially what tablet PCs are), when laptops (which have more features) with the same CPU power and storage capacity have already had lower prices than $500 for years. You're misrepresenting my position (a.k.a. a strawman argument) in order to get another flame war running. Well, flame yourself, serial troller.
                This does not make sense. You said that you never said that the iPad is a computer. Then you immediately say that it's a stripped-down laptop.

Laptops are computers. So I'm not sure how you can contradict yourself like this.
                Last edited by MrFun; January 29, 2010, 11:10.

Comment

Originally posted by VJ View Post

It was not a strawman, you are just not bright enough to see your own arguments. Or maybe you are just trolling, it wouldn't surprise me right now...

quick, what's the first year you can remember laptop with an >16gb hard drive and a > 1ghz processor cost less than $500?

If it is not a computer, why are you asking this question?

Even when you insisted you never claimed it was a computer, you then said this sentence:
                  The question I asked was why would anyone want to buy a stripped down laptop (which is essentially what tablet PCs are)

A stripped down laptop is a....wait for it, wait for it...

computer.

Also, can I except your gay-stalking strawmen to follow me to every single ****ing thread from now on because I refused to take a public blowjob from you? Apparently, the answer is yes.
                  I think you need some serious mental health help, VJ.

If you're trying to make a joke, it didn't work. If you're trying to speak English, it didn't work. If you're trying to piss me off with homophobia, it didn't work. If you're trying to look like a stunning idiot, it worked splendidly.
                  "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                  Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by MrFun View Post
                    This does not make sense. You said that you never said that the iPad is not a computer. Then you immediately say that it's a stripped-down laptop.

Laptops are computers. So I'm not sure how you can contradict yourself like this.
                    I think he's just trying to troll/flame. I say "think" because I think it's also highly probable that he's just an immense idiot.
                    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Originally posted by MikeH View Post
                      No, but, I'm someone who's currently thinking of getting some kind of device for mobile internet/browsing etc. etc. on the move. Now the iPad has a fancy interface and can do some stuff that a standard netbook can't. But I'd still get a netbook because the extra stuff the iPad has seems to me to be much less important than the things it can't do that the Netbook can.

There will be people who'll have an iPhone, iPad, netbook, macbook and all those other things, but if I'm getting one I want an all in one device. iPad doesn't have enough WIN (yet, the first iPhone wasn't of interest to me but the second generation one was much more appealing.)
                      This makes sense to me. I was just objecting to the comparison of the device to a computer (desktop/laptop), because it is not.

It doesn't run OS X, it runs iPhone OS. It doesn't use a PC CPU, it uses a mobile phone CPU (ARM-core). It is just, quite literally, a supersized iPhone/iPod Touch.

Comment

I don't know about you guys, but I don't use my laptop to read books in bed. I do use my iPhone however.

The iPad is not a laptop and should not be judged as such. It is a reader, a really kick ass reader. By far the best reader on the market.

Considered as such, the price looks about right on introduction, though it will probably have to come down a bit eventually.
                        Last edited by Vanguard; January 29, 2010, 19:18.
                        VANGUARD

Comment

To me, a good reader doesn't have a backlit LCD screen. It is hard on the eyes after a while.

I'd get an e-Ink reader if I wanted one.

Comment

The eyestrain issue is overstated if you ask me. I have read whole books on a tiny iPhone screen and it isn't that bad.

The big trick is to go white text on black background instead of black text on white.

As for e-ink readers, if they come down to $100 then they have a niche. But $450 for a Kindle in place of an iPad for $500? No thanks.
                            VANGUARD

Comment

I think he's just trying to troll/flame. I say "think" because I think it's also highly probable that he's just an immense idiot.
                              You quoted me before I could correct my grammatical mistake.

"You said you never said the iPad IS a computer." That is what I meant.

Comment

Originally posted by Vanguard View Post
                                The eyestrain issue is overstated if you ask me. I have read whole books on a tiny iPhone screen and it isn't that bad.

The big trick is to go white text on black background instead of black text on white.

As for e-ink readers, if they come down to $100 then they have a niche. But $450 for a Kindle in place of an iPad for $500? No thanks.
                                Let's compare apples to apples....

Lowest-end Kindle (6" e-ink): $259
                                Lowest-end iPad (9.7" LCD): $499
                                Kindle DX (9.7" e-ink): $489

The Kindle is also thinner and lighter than the iPad with 168 hours of battery life instead of 10, also. Also, the e-ink vs backlit LCD issue.

Comment

Working...
                                X