Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which country in the world currently has the best functioning liberal democracy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BeBro View Post
    Denying women voting rights until the early 1970ies, on some lower levels until the 1990ies

(You do realize they weren't that interested in those right?)
    Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
    The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
    The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

I was recently trolling the Nutzis over at Stormfront and was surprised to learn how many of them profess to follow "ancient Germanic" religions such as the old Scandinavian pantheon instead of Christianity because "Jesus was a dirty Jew"! Yes, they're morons for a reason but let's face it... Religion is horse pucky so who really cares?
      Promoting world peace one bum at a time.

Comment

Originally posted by Heraclitus View Post

Bull****.

Comment

You have quite active Swiss Women Orgs (and these weren't just some weird feminist fringe groups we know from the 1960ies) demanding it since the 19th century, and increasing support for the idea throughout the whole 20th century, but to get it (before 1971) they needed the majority of male votes (since full citizenship and voting rights for a long time were related to army service, which was long exclusive for men).
          Blah

Comment

To be fair the Swiss Army is filled with a lot of fags. Hell, they couldn't even defeat the French would spend half their time trying to surrender.

Comment

Originally posted by bumfister View Post
              Bull****.
              Talking about Swiss women here. I have a hard time imagining the majority being somehow repressed up untill the 1970's. Especially considering how most European women could vote since quite a while before WW2.
              Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
              The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
              The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

Originally posted by BeBro View Post
                You have quite active Swiss Women Orgs (and these weren't just some weird feminist fringe groups we know from the 1960ies) demanding it since the 19th century, and increasing support for the idea throughout the whole 20th century, but to get it (before 1971) they needed the majority of male votes (since full citizenship and voting rights for a long time were related to army service, which was long exclusive for men).
                Didn't know that. Why didn't they just change the law so that army was open for women too?

While we had compuslory military serivce over here (up untill the early 2000's) I was always struck by how unfair it was that men and only men had to waste a year of their life in the army.

Comment

Didn't know that. Why didn't they just change the law so that army was open for women too?
                  Because for any constitutional changes only the majority amongst men was important, which only changed finally in favour of women's voting rights in 1971.

That said, there *were* also female supporters for the "no" position, but I doubt it's been the majority, esp. not after WWII (when women served not in the army, but in some kind of paramilitary service, and so even conservative women increasingly demanded more rights in return).
                  Blah

Comment

Yes - and in United States, enslaved blacks were not really all that interested in freedom.

The Union forced emancipation on those happy darkies.
                    A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Talking about Swiss women here. I have a hard time imagining the majority being somehow repressed up untill the 1970's.
                      But that is only because you're retarded.

Comment

While we had compuslory military serivce over here (up untill the early 2000's) I was always struck by how unfair it was that men and only men had to waste a year of their life in the army.
                        Tha's because the traditional view is that women need to stay home and have babies so there could be more soldiers to fight wars.

Comment

Originally posted by Riesstiu IV View Post
                          North Korea.
                          One man one vote indeed.

Comment

Originally posted by bumfister View Post
                            I don't know what all the criteria are which they used to judge but a newspaper says judging on 60 criteria including "free and fair election process, civil liberties, functioning of government, political participation and political culture". This results in the following 10 countries being listed as the world's best functioning democracies:

1. Sweden 9,88
                            2. Iceland 9,71
                            3. Netherlands 9.66
                            4. Norway 9,55
                            5. Denmark 9,52
                            6. Finland 9,25
                            7. Luxembourg 9,10
                            8. Australia 9,09
                            9. Canada 9.02
                            10. Switzerland 9.02

The pro-America crowd might notice the U.S. isn't listed and I think this is largely due to the fact that political corruption (caused by all the special interest money which dominates US politics), a lack of respect for civil liberties, and barriers designed to keep 3rd parties out of the political process all combine to make the US a worse democracy.

http://www.aftenposten.no/english/lo...cle1543571.ece
                            Seems like a reasonable list. I do wonder though what civil liberties were included in the list. I have issues with US civil liberties, but I still believed we compared quite favorably to Europe in many categories. I suppose it just depends on what categories they included. For example, I imagine gun ownership was not considered a civil liberty by the poll makers.

The other stuff about our elections seem appropriate places for us to lose points.

Also, your list is outdated. Here is the top 10 from 2008:

1. Sweden 9.88
                            2. Norway 9.68
                            3. Iceland 9.65
                            3. Netherlands 9.53
                            5. Denmark 9.52
                            6. Finland 9.25
                            7. New Zealand 9.19
                            8. Switzerland 9.15
                            9. Luxembourg 9.10
                            10. Australia 9.09

Germany is 13, Japan is 17, US is 18, UK is 21, and France is 24. Russia is 107, right below Burundi and above Pakistan...

Edit: After reading through the actual survey, I think the civil liberties portion is balanced. Doesn't have guns, but I can see how it wouldn't fit in with the rest of the questions. It is mostly about free speech & barriers to political participation. Other categories of civil liberties aren't included. Which I assumed, but I suppose I'm ok with it now.

Cool study regardless.
                            Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

It (US) may not have been ment to be one (democracy), but its considered to be one today.
                              If you think so you haven't been paying attention.
                              I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                              - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Originally posted by Nikolai View Post
                                It doesn't matter. God is great no matter how he did it, if you ask me. I have no problems with evolution, but I'm not convinced it happened just as the evolutionist claim. Neither do I buy the creationists, they are mostly silly. Macro-evolution is not scientifically proven, but it's likely it has some merit. Same for me, really.
                                "God is great"? Wait, doesn't that translate into Arabic as "Allah Akhbar"?

The truth is out now.
                                "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Working...
                                X