Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which country in the world currently has the best functioning liberal democracy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which country in the world currently has the best functioning liberal democracy?

In my opinion most of Europe is a mess, Russia and the US aren't any better. Japan? Australia? Don't really know...

Which country do you think comes closest to a working liberal democracy?
    Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
    The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
    The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Switzerland? I don't know.

Comment

Democracy's are messy by nature.
      Even a fool is thought wise if he remains silent.

Comment

Given that the US was never meant to be a democracy, we can't even include the US in the discussion.
        Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/DaveDaDouche
        Read my seldom updated blog where I talk to myself: http://davedadouche.blogspot.com/

Comment

The Demarchists prior to the Melding Plague
          <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

All thinking humans know Norway is the best.
            Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
            I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
            Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Originally posted by Nikolai View Post
              All thinking humans know Norway is the best.
              Have you cleaned up the heroin junkies off the streets of Oslo yet?

Comment

Yup. They've gone underground now.
                Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10

Comment

Originally posted by David Floyd View Post
                  Given that the US was never meant to be a democracy, we can't even include the US in the discussion.
                  It may not have been ment to be one, but its considered to be one today.
                  Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
                  The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
                  The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

Yup. They've gone underground now.
                    Hah! Please explain to me what is "liberal" about that? You are fascist scum, and you just admitted it.

Comment

No, no, no. They did it voluntary. For the greater good. Very laissez-faire.

Comment

No, no, no. They did it voluntary. For the greater good. Very laissez-faire.
                        How defeatist.

Norway is too small to be a real testcase of liberalism, anyway. Most of you live in villages or small towns steeped in centuries of individualism-crushing Lutheran morals and compulsively watching your neighbor's yard to see if he cut the grass at just the right length. That is nothing at all like the challenge of a modern urban, multicultural society where you can't be certain that your many neighbors share your outlook and fundamental values. The question is: can you be tolerant of intolerance?

Comment

North Korea.

Comment

Errr, to be serious... Oslo, our capital, has more than 800.000 inhabitants, counting the suburbs, more than 500.000 if not. That alone is ~17% of our population. Bergen has ~250.000 inhabitants, amounting to 80% of Hordaland county. We're pretty urbanized. And believe me, our Lutheran morals are long gone. Unfortunately, if you ask me. 80% are part of the state church(not long until it's not a state church either btw), but almost all of those are liberals. And as for urban, multicultural societies, Oslo has a population share of ~25% immigrants. It grows by 2% each year, mostly from said immigrants. Statistics show the city will have a majority of immigrant decent in 20 years. We are very tolerant, one of the pioneers of gay rights. The only thing not tolerated, is intolerance. Well, except if it's Muslim intolerance, then it's okay.

Comment

Errr, to be serious... Oslo, our capital, has more than 800.000 inhabitants, counting the suburbs, more than 500.000 if not. That alone is ~17% of our population. Bergen has ~250.000 inhabitants, amounting to 80% of Hordaland county. We're pretty urbanized. And believe me, our Lutheran morals are long gone. Unfortunately, if you ask me. 80% are part of the state church(not long until it's not a state church either btw), but almost all of those are liberals. And as for urban, multicultural societies, Oslo has a population share of ~25% immigrants. It grows by 2% each year, mostly from said immigrants. Statistics show the city will have a majority of immigrant decent in 20 years. We are very tolerant, one of the pioneers of gay rights. The only thing not tolerated, is intolerance. Well, except if it's Muslim intolerance, then it's okay.
                              So I take from this that you dislike the direction your country has taken? Nikolai, why do you hate Norway? Why don't you move to Texas or something?

Comment

Working...
                              X