Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any good old movies/games about the War of Northern Aggression?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SpencerH View Post
    Sid Meiers Gettysburg was a great game BTW but I dont know if it will run on a modern PC.
    That one was too easy. No matter which side the human played he won an overwhelming victory every time. The AI just sucked that bad.
    Promoting world peace one bum at a time.

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
      As bumfister pointed out, though, the Southern states started the thing by opening fire on a Federal Fort... even if you want to leave, not everything belongs to you.
      I'm famous!

Comment

As bumfister pointed out, though, the Southern states started the thing by opening fire on a Federal Fort... even if you want to leave, not everything belongs to you.
        Would the North have gone to war even had the south not fired upon a federal fort?
        Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
        The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
        The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

Possibly then again they might have let them go. One thing is assured and that is Southern military action against Federal military installations, and there were huge numbers of them which the southerners attacked; Fort Sumter was just the most well known since it was the first, was what started the war. It's hard to claim you're peaceful after you've bombarded the other side's bases/forts. Lincoln even deliberately waited for the southern attack just so it could be said the south attacked Federal installations.

The point being the south didn't even make a serious attempt at negotiating and instead went on the offensive believing that Lincoln not immediately responding was a sign of weakness when in reality it was a propaganda play for hearts and minds in the north along with the loyalty of the border slave states.

It got worse when the South stupidly invaded Kentucky thinking they could force them into the Confederacy but instead resulted in Kentucky staying in the Union and begging for Federal assistance. Lincoln played his hand very well and that resulted in several border line states staying in the Union and instead seeing the south as aggressors. It also helped spur domestic support for the war.
          Last edited by bumfister; November 28, 2009, 11:20.

Comment

Originally posted by Heraclitus View Post
            Would the North have gone to war even had the south not fired upon a federal fort?
            This question doesn't really have any bearing on naming the war the War of Northern Aggression as opposed to the (American) Civil War. "But they didn't initiate the conflict." "But they might have done so if the South hadn't done so first, therefore they were the aggressor!"
            Last edited by loinburger; November 28, 2009, 11:31.
            <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

Originally posted by bumfister View Post
              That one was too easy. No matter which side the human played he won an overwhelming victory every time. The AI just sucked that bad.
              IIRC, that was mostly true but it depended on what general you opposed. I can definitely say that the AI 'understood' flanking (I think it was Meade I faced).
              We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
              If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
              Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

The whole Kentucky thing was really one of Lincoln's best played hands. He continually said that he would not send Federal troops to Kentucky but stated that he had a legal right to do so, if, he so decided. Luckily, the Confederates were morons. The Confederates massed an army in Tennessee and launched an armed invasion of Kentucky. The result was the state legislature of Kentucky, who had been very pro-Southern, was completely surprised by the actions of the Confederacy and instead demanded that the Federal government honor the constitution and send troops to help defend Kentucky.

This meant that Kentucky became a stalwart against the Confederacy and even slave owning Kentuckians were loyal to the Union. It shifted the front much further to the south into Tennessee instead of being on the Ohio river where it could disrupt Union shipping.

Comment

Originally posted by SpencerH View Post
                  MF mentioned a game called "Forge of Freedom" in another thread that looks pretty interesting.
                  I plan to buy that game.
                  A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

You mean if two roommates live together in a townhouse, and one of them leaves before the end of the lease is up he cannot take some of the other roommate's property with him?

A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Originally posted by MrFun View Post
                      I plan to buy that game.
                      You do know that you're MF!

Since you mentioned "Forge of Freedom" I've been looking for another american civil war game that I recall played more like a TW/Gettysburg-style game than FoF (which appears more grognard) and appeared to be very good.
                      Last edited by SpencerH; November 28, 2009, 15:21.
                      We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
                      If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
                      Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

I have Civil War Generals 2 (Sierra I thnk).

Plays like an old hex board game.

It's not bad but doesn't easily support MP.
                        "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                        "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                        X