Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any good old movies/games about the War of Northern Aggression?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any good old movies/games about the War of Northern Aggression?

I always tought that the American Civil War was kind of meh, but recently its become sort of interesting so are there any good movies about it?

Also what is the best strategy game that deals with the time period?
    Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
    The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
    The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

3. Gone With the Wind
    This classic uses the Civil War as a backdrop to tell the tale of a strong-willed Southern woman. Gone With the Wind does a good job of depicting the South's point of view without moralizing. The burning of Atlanta and confiscating of Tara provides a compelling look at the effect of Sherman's March to the Sea on the Southern people.

4. North and South
    This made for TV mini-series is an excellent telling of one of the most important periods of American History. The compelling story offers a well balanced look at a very dark period by portaying good and bad people on both sides. Patrick Swayze, James Read, and David Carradine offered superb performaces in a movie that everyone should see.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Sid Meier's Antietam, or whatsitcalled. I never played it but it got decent reviews.

Comment

If you can find it, SPI's Terrible Swift Sword is an awesome board game about Gettysburg.
        (\__/)
        (='.'=)
        (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Damn! I did a Google search under shopping on SPI's Terrible Swift Sword.
          1976? 200 bucks?? I guess it must be good.
          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

It is one of the best table top simulations of a battle I have ever had the pleasure of playing.

The map takes up a ping pong table. The turns are 30 or 60 minutes (IIRC). The basic unit is regiment/battery.

The only better board game, IMO, is Squad Leader (Avalon Hill).
            (\__/)
            (='.'=)
            (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

**** Gone With The Wind.

****ing hate that movie. That is the most obnoxious movie heroine of all-time.
              "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
              "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

You don't realize that was part of the movie? When she was prattling on at Melanie's while the men were out? How she was, was how she was supposed to be. A brat. Kind of like 85% of the people here.

Comment

I liked Gone with the Wind.

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly features the American Civil War...

Comment

Originally posted by notyoueither View Post
                    It is one of the best table top simulations of a battle I have ever had the pleasure of playing.

The map takes up a ping pong table. The turns are 30 or 60 minutes (IIRC). The basic unit is regiment/battery.

The only better board game, IMO, is Squad Leader (Avalon Hill).
                    I played a Napoleonic board game similar to that back in the 80's. Can't remember the name of it...
                    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Gettysburg and Gods & Generals were complete and utter sappy hokum, but had some decent battle scenes FWIW...
                      Unbelievable!

Comment

Originally posted by Heraclitus View Post
                        I always tought that the American Civil War was kind of meh, but recently its become sort of interesting...
                        Have you been reading Sloww's diary behind his back?

Comment

There was no War of Northern Aggression.
                          A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Really, the North did terrible in that war whatever you might call it. It had like 80% of the industry and population, and it took them what 5 years to win? If terms had been more equal there'd still be slaves on US farms today.

Comment

Glory
                              <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

Working...
                              X