• Time
  • Show
Clear All

a couple of my favs

covering nwa:

nina gordon - straight outta compton

covering new order:

commercial break up - bizarre love triangle
    "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Originally posted by Ramo View Post
      Aretha Franklin - "Respect"

Did you not read the OP?

Also:

The Clash - "I Fought the Law"
      "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
      "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Originally posted by Guynemer View Post
        Covers often start with great original songs. It is usually harder to make it "better" but I agree, an artist can put their own stamp on it.

Harder, but not impossible.

I listed "Hurt" above. Johnny Cash took a good NiN song, and made it ****ing art. You don't see that very often.

Oh, and while the CCs put their own stamp on that song, that's not always a good thing; that is ****ing intolerable.
        Cash did that to several songs throughout the American series. His cover of Nick Cave's "Mercy Seat," from III, is as good an example as "Hurt."
        Solomwi is very wise. - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

Better than the Stones?

KH FOR OWNER!
          ASHER FOR CEO!!
          GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Speaking of Cash, this turned out ok but probably wasn't an improvement:

Original:

Unbelievable!

Comment

Hueij: Good call on the Souxie covers.

COckney: That's a bloody awful cover of "Bizarre Love Triangle:

Guynemer: If you're going to mention covers of "I fought the law" this one is definitive:

Libraries are state sanctioned, so they're technically engaged in privateering. - Felch
              I thought we're trying to have a serious discussion? It says serious in the thread title!- Al. B. Sure

Comment

Sodom covering "Let's break the law"

Original:

Libraries are state sanctioned, so they're technically engaged in privateering. - Felch
                I thought we're trying to have a serious discussion? It says serious in the thread title!- Al. B. Sure

Comment

Alanis Morriset's cover of My Humps was pretty ****in' funny.
                  Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

covering womack & womack:

the xx - teardrops

using the unmisstakable backing from flux of pink of indians - tube disasters:

professor green - hard night out
                    "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Originally posted by Darius871 View Post
                      PS I don't think anyone could "improve on" Pink Floyd, but Dream Theater's DVD cover of Dark Side of the Moon was a stellar tribute at least with some improv...

One sample from "Any Color You Like":
                      The improvement over King Crimson's version of Larks' Tongues in Aspic pt II is enormous:

Originally posted by Serb:Please, remind me, how exactly and when exactly, Russia bullied its neighbors?
                      Originally posted by Ted Striker:Go Serb !
                      Originally posted by Pekka:If it was possible to capture the essentials of Sepultura in a dildo, I'd attach it to a bicycle and ride it up your azzes.

Comment

The original qualifies as "Great" IMO. The cover is interesting if nothing else.

Sonata Arctica - Out In The Fields
                        Quendelie axan!

Comment

Guns and Roses - Live and Let Die

Social Distortion - Ring of Fire

ACK!
                          Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Van Halen - You really got me
                            What?

Comment

I wasn't born with enough middle fingers.
                              [Brandon Roderick? You mean Brock's Toadie?][Hanged from Yggdrasil]

Comment

I watched you fall. I think I pushed.

Comment

Working...
                                X