A Music Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And now for some Shakira.

Just kidding. Silver Apples, American electronic experimentalists from the late 60s:

Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

• Another for Slowhand (especially) and anyone who appreciates guitar & the blues. Champion Jack Dupree with T. S. McPhee:

A 14 track album of previously unreleased sessions for the Blue Horizon label (recorded 1966) was released in 2005, called 'Dupree & McPhee' -

Click image for larger version

Name:	chm1063.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	9094681

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

• Dave Van Ronk says: " Don't miss this record", this record being Judy Roderick's 'Woman Blue'. I love finding things of quality like this:

Recorded in 1965, when she was 22.

Name:	015707919722.jpg
Size:	20.2 KB
ID:	9094682

Comment

• A slight change of pace... A Britsh group called Demon Fuzz released an album called 'Afreaka!' in 1970, with a potent melange of psych/funk/ and early Afro-Rock netween the covers. Their version of ' I Put A Spell On You':

Not sure about the pictorial content matching the sounds....

Comment

• Cymande bring you 'The Message' :

Comment

• Eric Andersen recorded on the Vanguard label. 'Close the Door Lightly When You Go'

Comment

• Some Olde Englysshe Folke.

Magna Carta, formed in York, released this in 1970 on the collectable Vertigo label:

Comment

• Another from the Vertigo label. Fairfield Parlour (once known as Kaleidoscope) released 'From Home To Home' in 1970. The original album sells for in excess of £120 in minty fresh condition. This is 'Emily' which has a kind of Sarstedt quality in the lyrics if not the music. Quite haunting in an English pastoral melancholic way...

Comment

• A couple of film related tracks. Pierre Akendengue appears on the soundtrack to 'The Last Days Of Chez Nous' with 'Nw'alewana' but this ain't that, alas.

Comment

• Apologies to anyone who hasn't see the film of 'Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy' but this version of 'La Mer' occurs at the end when pigeons come home to roost.... Julio Iglesias!!! You could have knocked me down wiv' a fevver....

Comment

• From Iglesias to Stewart. Late 60s Rod Stewart from 'An Old Raincoat Won't Ever Let You Down' which also features 'Dirty Old Town' and 'Handbags & Gladrags' and a well-dodgy cover...

The opened out sleeve includes two more children...

Name:	34895.jpg
Size:	12.8 KB
ID:	9094684

Comment

• Irish folk with Irish folk. Dr Strangely Strange (name inspired by Marvel's 'Dr Strange', natch) :

Comment

• Last Vertigo label release - Affinity and 'Night Flight'. Lead singer Linda Hoyle went on to releasean immensely collectable solo album :

Comment

• Most of all will be quite familiar with Lou Reed's 'Transformer' album- a seminal vinyl artefact of the early 70s. It was preceded, at least in the U.S. , by another 'Transformer'- this time by David Stoughton. It was quite ahead of its time- 1968- and probably not everyone's cup of echidna juice today.

'The Anecdote Of Horatio And Julie':

Name:	25248.jpg
Size:	110.0 KB
ID:	9094690

Comment

• It's a bit of an Elektra-fying start to Sunday. The Elektra label was responsible for some quirky and scorchio albums, and some poptastically groovy album covers.

Diane Hildebrand, 'And It Was Good':

Harpsichord ? Dunno, but I'm trying to think of who she reminds me of. She co-wrote the theme for 'The Flying Nun'- t.v. trivia fact for old folks like me.

Name:	DSCF9283.JPG
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	9094692

Comment

Working...
                                X