No announcement yet.

A Music Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An oldie but a goodie. Based on a William Blake text... Julie Covington, 'My Silks And Fine Array' :

My silks and fine array,
    My smiles and languish'd air,
    By love are driv'n away;
    And mournful lean Despair
    Brings me yew to deck my grave:
    Such end true lovers have.

His face is fair as heav'n,
    When springing buds unfold;
    O why to him was't giv'n,
    Whose heart is wintry cold?
    His breast is love's all worship'd tomb,
    Where all love's pilgrims come.

Bring me an axe and spade,
    Bring me a winding sheet;
    When I my grave have made,
    Let winds and tempests beat:
    Then down I'll lie, as cold as clay.
    True love doth pass away!
    Poems, readings, poetry news and the entire 110-year archive of POETRY magazine.
    Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

• Sad deserted shore... fickle friends leaving.... Sandy Denny remains, no thought of time.

'Who Knows Where The Time Goes ?'

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

• The Corries and 'The Wild Mountain Thyme':

Comment

• Is time on my side ?

La Dusseldorf, 'Time' :

Comment

• Another ahead of its time release, from a group called White Noise:

White Noise is an experimental electronic music band formed in London, England, in 1968 by American-born David Vorhaus, a classical bass player with a background in physics and electronic engineering. He was initially joined by BBC Radiophonic Workshop composers Delia Derbyshire and Brian Hodgson, who had formerly both been members of electronic music project Unit Delta Plus.
            The best of the BBC, with the latest news and sport headlines, weather, TV & radio highlights and much more from across the whole of BBC Online

Click image for larger version

Name:	white+noise.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	9094716

Comment

• To coincide with the Man Ray exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery:

China Crisis & 'Black Man Ray'

Man Ray Portraits is the first major museum retrospective of this innovative and influential artist’s photographic portraits.

Focusing on his career in America and Paris between 1916 and 1968, the exhibition highlights Man Ray’s central position among the leading artists of the Dada and Surrealist movements and the significant range of contemporaries, celebrities, friends and lovers that he captured: from Marcel Duchamp and Pablo Picasso to Kiki de Montparnasse, Lee Miller and Catherine Deneuve.

Featuring over 150 vintage prints and key works from international museums and private collections, the exhibition also demonstrates Man Ray’s use of revolutionary photographic techniques and early experiments with colour, as well as surveying his published work in leading magazines such as Vogue and Vanity Fair.

Name:	manray3.jpg
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	9094718

Comment

• I want to slip you some Tunng:

Comment

• They're all grown up now. Silicon Teens:

Comment

• anti steam and proud of it

CDO ....its OCD in alpha order like it should be

Comment

Comment

Comment

• Admittedly, I wouldn't know of this song had it not been for a commercial.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

• Sometimes commercials are good at rescuing tracks from aural oblivion. Sometimes they make good tracks into earworms so that you end up dreading the sight or sound of the commercial. Sometimes they resurrect stuff that should have been left dead and buried.

Record Collector runs a monthly T.V. ads feature highlighting who covered the track in the ad, the tracks history, that sort of thing. Not much use for me as I don't own a television or listen to the radio, but still...

Oh and A.P.- Eric the Half A Bee- fond memories. Tom Lehrer too- the kind of dry wit I love.

Strange folk, part the deux: Ottilie Patterson was a singer with Chris Barber's Jazz Band, of mixed Latvian & Irish parentage. She released singles in various genres, from trad jazz, blues, folk and even Shakespeare set to music (as did Cleo Laine) and also collaborated with Sonny Boy Williamson.

This is 'The Weepin' Willow Blues' :

She released a hard to find and valuable l.p. on the Marmalade Label, called '3 000 Years With Ottilie' , a stand out track being 'The Bitterness Of Death' which was also made into a single release, albeit mixed differently. Can't find that, but here's 'Helen Of Kirkconnell' :

Name:	320274214294.jpg
Size:	18.1 KB
ID:	9094729

Comment

• Rather appropriately given the sharp fingered gusts of wind and snow flurries outside, this is 'Winter' by Tea and Symphony. Note the Marc Bolanish vocals....

The album 'An Asylum For The Musically Insane' will set you back a cool £ 150 + in good condition. If you can find it ... described as 'science fiction acid folk' on first release by Melody Maker. Yess....

Name:	115125597.jpg
Size:	130.8 KB
ID:	9094730

Comment

• Big name for a trio who were together for 18 months only. Synanthesia and 'Trafalgar Square':

Lovin' the flutey bits.

Comment

Working...
                                X