Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No.

Classics from 20ish years ago:

Libraries are state sanctioned, so they're technically engaged in privateering. - Felch
    I thought we're trying to have a serious discussion? It says serious in the thread title!- Al. B. Sure

Comment

• The other three besides the Gary Clail one... they're so loud and obnoxious. I don't see get the appeal of that sound. The guitars and the vocals are irritating and grate the eardrums.
      "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
      "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

• Some more classics...

"I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

• Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
          The other three besides the Gary Clail one... they're so loud and obnoxious. I don't see get the appeal of that sound. The guitars and the vocals are irritating and grate the eardrums.

:sigh: Kids today. There is no hope.

Try this:

Or this

Music, like any other art, is supposed to disturb the status quo. The garbage on MTV/commercial radio doesn't disturb anyone. It is neither art nor music. It is simply money making wank fodder for corporate executives and the brainless gits who like wanking to pablum.
          Libraries are state sanctioned, so they're technically engaged in privateering. - Felch
          I thought we're trying to have a serious discussion? It says serious in the thread title!- Al. B. Sure

Comment

• New Model Army's guy... I have no idea what he's saying. What's with his accent? Brits have problems with enunciation.
            The next two are so 80's... the first Fishbone one doesn't even seem like a song though The second Fishbone is alright I guess.

Lords of the New Church... is that song famous or is there a famous song that sounds similar. I've heard that song before somewhere.

Music, like any other art, is supposed to disturb the status quo. The garbage on MTV/commercial radio doesn't disturb anyone. It is neither art nor music. It is simply money making wank fodder for corporate executives and the brainless gits who like wanking to pablum.
            Bah! You can create great innovative art AND be popular at the same time. I question the value of 'art' if no one likes it. Not saying popularity implies quality but quality should usually result in some level of popularity. If it stays niche, there's a reason for that... it's really probably not all that good.

Comment

• Taking it back to the 70's with Roy Ayers... Plain old fashioned good music...

Last edited by Al B. Sure!; July 3, 2010, 23:15.

Comment

• Lenny Kravitz, Let Love Rule
                Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

New Model Army's guy... I have no idea what he's saying. What's with his accent? Brits have problems with enunciation.
                  No. Not our fault that you Yankees can't understand the English language.

The next two are so 80's... the first Fishbone one doesn't even seem like a song though The second Fishbone is alright I guess.
                  80's? Yes, go figure. Listen again and see if you get the point.

Lords of the New Church... is that song famous or is there a famous song that sounds similar. I've heard that song before somewhere.
                  LOTNC were never famous, but they did some goddamn awesome tunes.

Bah! You can create great innovative art AND be popular at the same time. I question the value of 'art' if no one likes it. Not saying popularity implies quality but quality should usually result in some level of popularity. If it stays niche, it's really probably not all that good.

I'm going to have to disagree with you on that.

Popular = McDonalads.

Unpopular= Maybe crap/maybe great. Creating something new is a risk that an artist takes, it might work, it might not. The "shouting in the microphone" that you hear resonates as truth to those of us who grew up during those times.

Artists have a hard time creating something innovative that is also popular. For the most part, a musician or an artist can do one or the other. If what they produce is popular, it likely isn't art. If it's art it likely isn't very popular at the time.

Contrary to what the song says, the revolution will most likely be televised.

Comment

• The point of the song is that you cannot sit back and watch tv if you want to change the world.
                    Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

• Thoth:

Interesting that someone who was so adamant about rap being crap would post a Gil Scott Heron song/poem/rap. (I posted a few of his works in this thread a few pages back including a song he recorded this year with Nas)

Comment

Last edited by ZEE; December 26, 2010, 01:21.
                        The Wizard of AAHZ

Comment

• Hall & Oates

Comment

Thoth:

Interesting that someone who was so adamant about rap being crap would post a Gil Scott Heron song/poem/rap. (I posted a few of his works in this thread a few pages back including a song he recorded this year with Nas)

It's amazing what I'll post while blind drunk.

Comment

• Bah! You can create great innovative art AND be popular at the same time. I question the value of 'art' if no one likes it. Not saying popularity implies quality but quality should usually result in some level of popularity. If it stays niche, there's a reason for that... it's really probably not all that good.
                              there are all sorts of reasons why a great piece of art or music might not become popular. a lack of availability (especially in the days before downloads), a lack of publicity, or simply the fact that people (in general) don't look for quality stuff, or don't appreciate it when they stumble upon it and instead are happy to swallow whatever crap they hear on the radio or MTV etc.

the other problem is what i call the nation radio problem. there's a station in south wales called nation radio, it's a rock music station. they play classic rock and modern rock music and although they play a lot of things not to my taste, they also play a lot of good stuff. the problem is that i have listened to nation radio a lot (mostly because it was the best station on FM radio in the day) and i've not once heard anything that i've not heard somewhere else before, not one song. that to me is the most damning indictment of a radio station. they have 50 years of rock music to choose from and yet they are content to play the songs that everybody knows and everybody likes, over and over again. it's a very safe music policy from a commercial point of view no doubt, but it's no good for people who actually like music.

unfortunately, this kind of attitude is all too common.
                              "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Last edited by ZEE; December 26, 2010, 01:21.
                                The Wizard of AAHZ

Comment

Working...
                                X