No announcement yet.

A Music Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have Nina Simone - Nina Simone Sings the Blues (Expanded Edition) (2006).

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
    Really cool video, by the way, if you check it out. Good to see six decade old music going strong and being introduced to a new generation

Good evening ladies and gentlemen and welcome to the Universal Amphitheater. Well, here it is, the late seventies going on 1985. You know, so much of the music we hear today is all pre-programmed electronic disco, we never get a chance to hear master Blues men practicing their craft anymore. By the year 2006, the music known today as the Blues will exist only in the classical records department of your local library. So tonight ladies and gentlemen, while we still can, let us welcome, from Rock Island Illinois, the blues band of Joliet Jake and Elwood Blues, the Blues Brothers.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

• Well fortunately, Blues Brothers was a comedy film so can't blame them for being wrong.

Here's a cool video I ran into on youtube, as well. John Legend and the Roots made a recent rendition of this song as a single for their album but I saw this one that I never heard before:

Rapper Travis McCoy performing the Blue Notes' classic, Wake Up Everybody, with Daryl Hall

Travie McCoy isn't much of a singer but the emotion is there and he does what he does best on the bridge.

Just goes to show you the connection that a lot of today's pop artists have with the past. Apparently, McCoy idolizes Hall & Oates and even has tattoos tributing them!

"Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
      "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

• But back to the John Legend/Roots collaboration project. It's definitely something that should be checked out.

Here's some performances.

This is a modern rendition of Les McCann and Eddie Harris song "Compared to What":

Here's the original from the late 60's:

Or check out this which I think I posted before. A remake of the 1971 Baby Huey classic Hard Times:

The entire concert is available on youtube. Look at that crowd!
        "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

• There was a somewhat Trololo-style phenomenon in here a year ago, someone had made a misheard lyrics video ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lo_edXUlrT8 ) of a Syrian Kurdish band that got over two million views, and they ended up touring and releasing an album in Finland...

The Paintbrush Man - The Geese of the Nile (from a talk show; the misheard lyrics are very typical of the genre, containing back door stuff which I don't believe the band are aware of)

The Paintbrush Man performing a gig at a small club in Helsinki

Comment

• Does anyone have a convenient link to the covers thread?

Comment

• Really, Cort Haus? You couldn't take two seconds and search?

Comment

• Cheers Al

I did actually try a search on "covers" in forums, but my poly search skillz clearly leave something to be desired.

Comment

• "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                  'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

• "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                    'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

• OKAY LISTEN UP. IF YOU LISTEN TO ONE SONG IN THE ENTIRE THREAD MAKE IT THIS ONE. So ****ing chill, so ****ing early 80s, so ****ing italian.
                      "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui

Comment

• That's an instrumental, MRT. I listened to the full song with lyrics. That dude's Italian accent sounds so freaking weird.

Comment

• Here's one for Slowwhand. That hip hop blues from Philadelphia's own G. Love:

Blues is hardly dead.

Catalog this one in your public libraries! Blues circa 2011.

Comment

• Here's a mid-90's G. Love and Special Sauce song about Philly and the Sixers... Let you hear some of his rap.

Comment

• Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                              "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                              He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

• Sloww:
                                "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                                Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Working...
                                X