Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One more from the O'Jays...

"Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

• Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

• Last edited by SlowwHand; October 24, 2010, 02:31.
        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

• Okay I got one for anyone who knows what music is. I posted one of her singles earlier but you really ought to check her out.

Sloww, especially, if you like Norah Jones, you'll love Janelle Monae. She's like Norah Jones but more creative and eclectic.

On Janelle Monae’s major-label debut, the 24-year-old, ragingly talented singer and dancer from Atlanta by way of Kansas City synthesizes a wealth of influences — Afro-futurism, glam rock reminiscent of David Bowie’s Spiders From Mars, ’50s easy listening, MGM-style orchestrations, bebop jazz and slickster-hip hop. If that’s an exhaustive list — and it’s not complete — imagine what it sounds like all marbled together on Monae’s concept fantasia, “The ArchAndroid.”

Check this out... and check her album cover in the video... this and her last album were Metropolis, Sci-Fi concept albums:

Janelle Monae - The ArchAndroid

Definitely need to check it out. Yes, she does rap on some songs (like she kind of does on that one above) and she's affiliated with Outkast and on Puff Daddy's Bad Boy record label so there are rappers on her album but you're missing out if that turns you away. Not just Sloww, anyone else who likes real music.
          Last edited by Al B. Sure!; October 25, 2010, 14:51.
          "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

• here she's singing the classic song "Smile"

Comment

• The CD is highly rated at AllMusic.

Track Picks
              Dance or Die
              Locked Inside
              Cold War
              Tightrope
              Wondaland
              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

• Performing on Ellen's show:

She's like the female James Brown

Comment

• RIP Gregory Isaacs. Died this morning at 59.

Comment

• Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post

Check this out... and check her album cover in the video... this and her last album were Metropolis, Sci-Fi concept albums:

Janelle Monae - The ArchAndroid
                    this is actually quite interesting and makes a nice change for you.

are you a fan of grace jones? or spoken word artists like anne clark or george pringle?
                    "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

• How the hell is that a change? You must not have been paying much attention to what I post, Cockney.

Comment

• i find most of what you post to be quite dull if i'm honest, but i liked that and will investigate her further. and yes i would say it's fairly different from your usual fare

anyway, have you heard of those artists i've mentioned (they've all been posted before by myself or others at some point)? also what did you think of sea of bees?
                        "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

• Well it's not different. She's an Outkast product who debuted on their Idlewild album (and is in the video for "Morris Brown", that I posted) and is on Puff Daddy's Bad Boy record label. Sorry but she's talented and eclectic but she's in the same spirit as everything else I post. Sorry, she's rap/r&b at the core and is on, oh my god, Puff Daddy's pop crap record label

If you like her, well there's a problem because you need to readjust your attitude on everything else I post, at least the stuff I post from the last few years.

I've posted spoken word here. I've posted Gil Scott Heron and I've posted Talib Kweli doing spoken word.

And Sea of Bees is boring. Or at least what you posted is.

Comment

• At the risk of turning you off from her, here's another one of her videos featuring rappers B.O.B. and Lupe Fiasco, two rappers I've posted here several times:

Comment

• You know what, Cockney... what do you think of Outkast?

Here's Janelle Monae and Outkast:

Comment

• Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
                                Well it's not different. She's an Outkast product who debuted on their Idlewild album (and is in the video for "Morris Brown", that I posted) and is on Puff Daddy's Bad Boy record label. Sorry but she's talented and eclectic but she's in the same spirit as everything else I post. Sorry, she's rap/r&b at the core and is on, oh my god, Puff Daddy's pop crap record label

If you like her, well there's a problem because you need to readjust your attitude on everything else I post, at least the stuff I post from the last few years.
                                err...no...it's different because it sounds different to what you usually post. you might have posted one or similar things in the past, but generally, i would say no. obviously, our tastes are going to overlap at some points, just as my tastes overlap somewhat with just about everyone who posts here. the idea of these threads isn't to see how different we can be, after all...

the first thing i thought when i heard that track was grace jones, who i'm a big fan of. if you're not familiar with her work, then you should really check her out.

that second track you posted was ok i guess, but nothing special. nothing i've not heard before. much preferred the first one with just her.

Comment

Working...
                                X