Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm losing faith in film as a vehicle for good science fiction.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was hoping you had modified Colbert's article to include being an egotistical physicist at JHU.
    Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
    "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

I'm guessing that his entry is protected.
      12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
      Stadtluft Macht Frei
      Killing it is the new killing it
      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Ah. Found my favourite moment in wiki history:

# (cur) (prev) 03:40, 1 August 2006 Xaosflux (talk | contribs) (-THE NUMBER OF ELEPHANTS HAS TRIPLED IN THE LAST SIX MONTHS!)
        # (cur) (prev) 03:40, 1 August 2006 Bradeos Graphon (talk | contribs) m (Protected Elephant: here it comes [edit=sysop:move=sysop])
        12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
        Stadtluft Macht Frei
        Killing it is the new killing it
        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

One more to add that I thought of today, Key the Metal Idol. Not so much for the cyberpunk, although there are shades of it, but for its take on transhumanism. The story can be summed up by saying it's a retelling of Pinocchio. The main character is an android girl who was created by her "grandfather". He gets killed (the evil corporation bit) before he can complete her, leaving her with a year to "live" before her batteries die. In his dying message, he tells her that if she can make 30,000 friends, she can become human.

Doesn't sound transhumanist? It is. The story has much more to it, and yes the concept above does make sense in story. Also has one of the creepiest villains of all time, Ajo, who has stuck in my mind despite me not having watched this series for years.

I need to watch it again and get some quotes for the file.

Oh, and if you want a good cyberpunk movie/show resource, check out Cyberpunk Review.

Wraith
          "I'm only sixteen, and I don't know much about the world, but I do know one thing for sure. If I'm pessimistic, then the adults in this world who are not pessimistic are a bunch of idiots."
          -- May Kasahara ("The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle")

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael View Post
            Are there any good cyberpunkish movies out there other than Blade Runner? Every one I've come across is either about secret military superhuman killing machines or robots/androids/replicants trying to become more human.
            You should try Japanese anims. I know, not real life film, but probably the kind of stories you're looking for.

Spec.
            -Never argue with an idiot; He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Comment

I loved Snow Crash. Funny as hell. Haven't read any more Stephenson, but have Cryptonomicron sitting on my shelf waiting for some free time.
              Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
              RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Originally posted by Spec View Post
                You should try Japanese anims. I know, not real life film, but probably the kind of stories you're looking for.

Spec.
                It's still Japanese though. I often find it hard to relate to certain situations happening in animes... it's so distinctly different, a bit like watching Japanese movies; the emotions displayed by characters are usually so out of proportion compared with our (*my) standards...

A Scanner Darkly was pretty good as far as scifi goes. Okay the protagonist was lame, but duh it features Keanu Reeves.. Robert Downey Jr is pure gold otoh.
                "An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie
                "Non mortem timemus, sed cogitationem mortis." - Seneca

Comment

Woody Harrelson is a stitch in that film as well.
                  Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                  RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

The Thirteenth Floor isn't a too bad film about posthumans.

Anyone here read anything like "Accelerando" by Charles Stross?
                    "Life is the only RPG you'll ever play, The religious want to be one with the moderator, the scientists want to hack the game, and the gamers want to do both."

Comment

Originally posted by -Jrabbit View Post
                      Woody Harrelson is a stitch in that film as well.
                      Word! then again when isn't he
                      "An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie
                      "Non mortem timemus, sed cogitationem mortis." - Seneca

Comment

Originally posted by MattBowron View Post
                        The Thirteenth Floor isn't a too bad film about posthumans.

I read his first novel, Singularity Sky. Very interesting ideas and setting, but one dimensional characters and a plot that was too inevitable to be interested in.
                        Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                        "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller View Post
                          I liked Diamond Age...
                          Just bought this along with The Atrocity Archives and Iron Council.

SP
                          I got the Jete from C.C. Sabathia. : Jon Miller

Comment

Originally posted by MattBowron View Post
                            Fairly interesting view on singularity. The character were, as Lori said, pretty one dimensional, but I did like Manfred and Amber, and also Amber's realization of what happened when she got back.
                            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                            - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Working...
                            X