Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm losing faith in film as a vehicle for good science fiction.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm losing faith in film as a vehicle for good science fiction.

Are there any good cyberpunkish movies out there other than Blade Runner? Every one I've come across is either about secret military superhuman killing machines or robots/androids/replicants trying to become more human.
    Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
    "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

The Matrix.

Comment

Also, since when is good science fiction = cyberpunk?

Comment

i hate blade runner
        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Cyberpunk just happens to be what I'm interested in right now. Well, cyberpunk/transhumanism/posthuman stuff.

And oh, you've seen the Matrix, too? I thought I was the only one.
          "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

cyberpunk/transhumanism/posthuman

just what in the holy **** is this?
            explain it to me
            do you even know?
            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Cyberpunk = gritty, corporations rule the world and people have implants in their heads sort of thing

Transhumanism = people merged with machines, uploaded into computers, and genetically enhanced to live on Mars kind of thing

Posthuman = Humans "evolved" beyond the regular human condition, such that they have transcended mortality/emotions/corporeality/etc...

Comment

hmmm okay
                To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael View Post
                  Are there any good cyberpunkish movies out there other than Blade Runner? Every one I've come across is either about secret military superhuman killing machines or robots/androids/replicants trying to become more human.
                  FWIW, A Scanner Darkly was excellent, and I thought Strange Days & Johnny Mnemonic were a little underrated but I'm probably in the minority on that. Screamers was ok-ish too, but probably falls into both of your two weak subcategories there. A lot of good but more actiony flicks gets called cyberpunk (e.g. Robocop, Total Recall, etc.) but not in the sense that you mean it I guess.
                  Unbelievable!

Comment

robocop is fun
                    i saw it again recently
                    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Darius871 View Post
                      FWIW, A Scanner Darkly was excellent, and I thought Strange Days & Johnny Mnemonic were a little underrated but I'm probably in the minority on that. Screamers was ok-ish too, but probably falls into both of your two weak subcategories there. A lot of good but more actiony flicks gets called cyberpunk (e.g. Robocop, Total Recall, etc.) but not in the sense that you mean it I guess.
                      Johnny Mnemonic was hilarious. It actually doesn't do a bad job of visually presenting some pretty classic cyberpunk themes, though.

A Scanner Darkly was interesting, but I was never engaged by the main character.

I've come across both Strange Days and Screamers in my googling; I might give them a try.

Comment

I'm losing faith in film as a vehicle for good...
                        ... anything, these days.
                        I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                        I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

wut about pr0n?
                          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

pron sux
                            I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                            I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Have you looked at Ghost In The Shell?
                              No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Working...
                              X