Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[serious] Off Topic Moderation Input - Part 2

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • rah
    replied
    I only did for the chill aspect of a short term ban.
    But I didn't like them for some of the reasons you mentioned earlier.

    More thought goes into it then most people think.

    Leave a comment:


  • MikeH
    replied
    We permaban spambots all the time.

    Leave a comment:


  • MikeH
    replied
    I never agreed with bans for a day or a week.

    Leave a comment:


  • Jon Miller
    replied
    I don't support perma bans.

    JM

    Leave a comment:


  • rah
    replied
    My only comment to that is Spinks.
    But I will admit that chasing down (successfully) DLs was one of the few fun aspects of Modding.

    And for the record, I never ever supported perma bans.

    Leave a comment:


  • MikeH
    replied
    If he makes a DL to get round the ban I think it would be reasonable to permaban both.

    Leave a comment:


  • rah
    replied
    Congrats Mike. I can really appreciate how difficult it is to pull the trigger on this type of thing. As much as I dislike him, I'm glad you didn't go the permaban route.

    I'm sure a DL will appear soon, If not already. (I've been on vacation and not paying much attention here.)

    Leave a comment:


  • ZEE
    replied
    Originally posted by Nikolai View Post
    Or the trolls this site has been plagued with for years? AAHZ is finally out I guess?
    aww, you say that with such exasperation. Careful, child, you just might start to actually MOTIVATE this one again.

    Leave a comment:


  • loinburger
    replied
    If he threatened people at those sites then he might face more serious repercussions

    NewsMaxer: Catholicism is an inferior religion
    Ben Kenobi: I dare you to say that to my face, I'd kick the crap out of you!
    NewsMaxer: Ummm... you do realize that I own over sixty firearms, right?

    Leave a comment:


  • Asher
    replied
    I don't even know why Ben bothers.

    He's much better off at FFZ, NewsMax, the Fox News story comments section, etc.

    Leave a comment:


  • MikeH
    replied
    Interestingly Ben is using that post as part of his defence, saying that KH supports him because KH considered the threat to be non-viable.

    Leave a comment:


  • Nikolai
    replied
    Different treatment of Ben, as usual. He is not a polite poster, but he is still not deserving to be treated worse than the rest of the gang here. Btw, I expect that KH is banned already for this post? And the numberous posters who have tried to chase Ben off the site for ages? Or the trolls this site has been plagued with for years? AAHZ is finally out I guess?

    Leave a comment:


  • MikeH
    replied
    Also:

    I don't care how Ming or any other moderator did things.

    If other posters have a different view of events to me they can come to this thread and post their view. I think Slowwhand has made some very good points in this thread. The ban length might seem excessive compared to previous regimes, but as nye said I always said that I thought the idea of short term bannings was counterproductive and seen as a reward for bad behaviour. I'm not getting into that game playing.

    And JM has said exactly the same thing, we have got better things to do with our time.

    I think I've always been very clear this is how I'd do things. And as always if this isn't what people want out of the moderation here, that's fine, everyone can let me know and I'll quit.

    Leave a comment:


  • MikeH
    replied
    It's been pointed out I did actually mention the homophibic posting as one of the reasons. Sorry.

    Leave a comment:


  • MikeH
    replied
    Ben asked for clarification on PM. I will post my reply to him here for transparency.

    I don't agree that you should expect me to respond once you have been banned. Just this once I will clarify.

    I have said countless times in various threads that Apolyton rules are clear that we don't tolerate homophobia, or racism or sexism or any other form of discrimination. These are in the core rules. Aside from myself a large number of our gay posters have made clear that your views and the way you express them are highly offensive to them. And they've made clear to us that they are highly offensive. And we've made clear to you that it's unacceptable.

    I did not mention that specifically in any of my posts about the banning, but the fact you mentioned it shows that you are fully aware that's one of the reasons.

    That said, in this case I think the threats alone were enough for a banning.

    In the following thread you indicate that yes, you did threaten loin with violence. You say he "took the bait" which I understand to mean, you threatened him as a 'trick' but you understand that he took you seriously. For me the important part is that it could be perceived as a threat, and that he took you seriously.

    Abandon all hope, ye who enter here.Sub-forums: <a href="forumdisplay.php?s=&amp;forumid=305">Sports Forum</a>, <a href="forumdisplay.php?s=&amp;forumid=322">Technology Forum</a>


    I'm not aware of Slowwhand's case. I will not be banning anyone for less than 6 months for any offence. It's petty, allows game playing and allows people to triumphantly return a short time later and continue with the same behaviour.

    I do not expect you to agree with this message. I will also post this in the OT Moderation thread, to keep things transparent. I won't post your message contents just my response.

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X